A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts
Had a discussion with the sailors I took out on Vaea last weekend about this. It would increase the ability to trim the main to wind/sea conditions. It would do away with the traveler control lines, since you could use these sheets for that purpose.
I'm thinking of anchoring the new mainsheets with Prusik loops on the existing horse, right at the aft stem penetration. I've got a new double cam-cleat designed for double-mainsheets to mount on the aft beam.
I'm tending towards using fiddle blocks for the purchase system: ball-bearing with 3/8" line, which should be easier to haul than the 1/2" line I presently have, that runs on bushed double blocks. The other sailors would prefer a 6-part mainsheet: triple blocks. That would make it easier to haul, but I am somewhat concerned about the ability to blow the mainsheet in a gust.
Comments, laughter, or otherwise?
The idea sounds intriguing. Something like the wharrams had on their Pahi 63? I think it would also give a solution to reefing, having a second sheet to hook into the reef point before detaching the old clew??
Morning (at least where I am!) Rory,
You are right there about the reefing: Icing on the cake! After making up the new mainsheets, I'll get out there and see how they perform. I hope to get them together this week, having found some new "old" Wichard ball bearing 75mm fiddle blocks being discounted at a San Diego, CA chandlery.
Finally went out and did the first sea trial with the double mainsheets, and so far they look promising. My friend John set up a piece of line with two knots equidistant to the middle, with two eyes at the ends. We hung this to a block snapped to the clew, with the knots on either side of the block, and snapped the mainsheets to the eyes. This lets the mainsail self-tend while short-tacking, and yet still allows the increased trimming ability of the two mainsheets when desired.
I didn't get any video this time, since I was the line handler while we short-tacked out the L.A. main channel: I was busy. . .But I will get video for sure on the next sail.
I failed to set up the GoPro! My excuse is my wife is impatient, meaning she doesn't quite understand the time I take to set up the boat. . .She's getting better actually, but in my haste to get going, I actually forgot to set up the GoPro...arghh. I did take a short video , as well as a still shot of the rigging with my Canon point and shoot: they are up on the main page.We are ghosting down the main channel, but at least you can see the way the strop works.
I put eye splices with thimbles into the mainsheet strop, and replaced the horse/traveler with a pair of similar eyes/thimbles, one for each stern, to take the main sheets. It works a treat! It's been blowing hard this last week: once we short-tacked out the channel, we were in 15 knot, gusting to 20 knot inside the breakwater. Blowing much harder outside the breakwater. GPS recorded top speed of 13.6 knots for the boat while beam reaching on the previous sail with John, and today, with my wife, the leeward hull was being pushed down hard into the water. She was getting concerned, so I spilled wind off the main by easing the windward sheet considerably; the leeward sheet kept the main sufficiently flat. This resulted in much less pressure on the main, and the boat flattened out with a more comfortable motion. Still good speed, but way more comfortable!
I swear I will set up the GoPro next sail!! Said the boy who cried wolf.... ;~)
Yes, I'm happy with the way it works so far; no downsides have shown up. The strop length after the knots, where the snapshackles attach, could be shortened a bit so there would be no chance of 2-blocking the purchase. I haven't come close to 2-blocking them, but it's a thought.
It may be damp this weekend, but I'll get out there again soon: have camera, will sail!!