Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Hi,

I copied the engine box as boatsmith build his ( http://tiki30.blogspot.nl/) (http://tiki30.blogspot.nl/2010/10/new-engine-box-and-yamaha-99.html... )  and am very pleased with it.

I also decided to use a longtail yamaha ft 9.9 high trust with powertilt.  A silent strong engine, with the ease of the powertilt so no need to open and close the motorbox every time.

but..

The powertilt version has a bracket that is deeper than the non powertilt version. I build the motor support close to the plans, and then ( see photo) the bracket is close to the water.

it hits the wave's above 8 knots..  at higher speeds ,10+ , it feels like hitting a brake!

I lifted the motor 8 cm, now that is over..  But even on inland lakes with 5bft the prop goes out in the air...

On photo's of another tiki i saw a construction where they use 2 pieces of rope to lift and lower the engine inside a box. ( they confirmed the ropes you can see where there to raise and lower the engine)

(http://www.tiki30-nostromo.de/)

I now think to get the same ft9.9 high trust longtail engine without the powertilt, but with the shorter bracket.

Then i must be able to lower the engine again, without  the bracket hitting the water.

I am just not sure how easy or hard  it wil be to get that neatly done.

Any ideas or tips?

Regards,

Bart

Views: 285

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this  what de engine box looks from the top side.

Attachments:

The non-electric tilt 9.9 was designed to be easily tilted by hand, and it is easy. The box/table you have covering the engine is similar to what I had on my T30 15-years ago. We just removed the lid and I would reach in a tilt the motor by hand. The water pressure during forward movement will assist when underway.

Thank you budget boater, was your motor a long tail or extra long tail?  Did you ever felt the need for a deeper propellor?

When i bought this boat it had a non standard motor support. it was rough but i was able to lower the motor and raise it appart from the tilt function of the motor itself. I found it dangerous for children and liked a box around it to silence the motor so i changed it..

But now i don't know if a long tail motor is deep enough. And in the plans i don't find motor specifications.

regards,

Bart

Attachments:

I had the Yamaha 9.9 Saildrive (25" shaft with taller gears and high thrust propeller). In a heavy seaway it would surge as the propeller got near the surface, but it never broke the surface.

I cut a hole in the side of my box/table so that I could reach the controls. My lid was removable and the box was also easily removed when needed.

Thanks!

25" is sold here as "extra long tail" . Now i have the same high trust version witch is great for manoeuvring in smaller water.

Thank you for this now i now what motor to get.

Kind regards Bart

One solution is to add a 5"extension to the motor. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service