Sorry for the late response!!!
I haven't been keeping up on this site for a while.
I think the smaller Wharrams are just great for New England. We had a T30 and loved being able to snug into deserted anchorages due to the shallow draft. The boat was dry even when the wind got up...although a T26 or T21 may be a little wet.
Are you building? Looking to buy?
Let me know when you get a chance. We haven't started building our T46 yet but hoping to start soon.
I hope she's getting her PhD in naval architecture???
I don't have any experience with Hitias, but whenever I went sailing on a friend's Hobie off of Nahant I always had a wet suit on....that water gets cold after a couple of hours.
Where are you located?
Peace IV is a great boat. I sailed with Ann and Nev on the Chesapeake Bay Schooner race this year but was a little under the weather so didn't sail too much.
Anyway, take care Brian and keep in touch. I'd love to hear how your Hitia build goes.
There is another Tiki 30 owner up in Maine. I think he bought Two Loose Screws, if I'm not mistaken. There was a guy named Dave Dawes who had a Tiki 21 (I think) in Newport, but he's in FL now I'm pretty sure.
As you might've guessed: New England is not a haven for Wharrams. As the winter drags on, I get more antsy to get started with my build. I have to wait for the snow to melt so the building inspector can check the empty foundation on which I want to erect my poly tunnel to build in. If he gives the thumbs down, I plan the tunnel directly into the ground (no permit required for "agricultural poly tunnels". Keep in touch!
Well, in fact, I buy the plan in nov 2006...
But fist I want to introduce myself. I am an intellectual guy not a manual and apart airplane models when I was young I had never do that sort of things. I live in Paris in an appartment and the boat is built in Britany (500 km of my home). In Paris I can only prepare the differents pieces before glueing. I am clearly under-equipped just a small saw, a jigsaw, a grate ("rape a bois"), a plane, 6 clamps, a rule, a pen and that all... for epoxy coating I used an old ruber knife of my wife to do cakes.
so after sitting on the plan some months I call ICARAI (the JWD representative in France) and buy all the pieces (already planed and cut) to try to realize the beams. After many reflexions and some works, success ; they are done and I am prettry fluent in epoxy coating, glueing. I'am the king to stitch wires. I continue conceiving and building supports for the hull and I do the cockpit covers and the tent with the sewing machine of my wife. I've found some pleasures in all these works. When I work on the boat concentrated on stiching wires I forget all the other current problems and that's very positive.
So, in october 2008, I hurry to buy the rest of the boat to ICARAI. During Christmas holidays, I draw and cut hull panels. In january I draw and cut bulkhead and next week I go in britany to glue the different pieces done.
I don't know if the boat will be afloat summer 2009 or 2010 or...
To give you some examples the 2 planks of the beam are stitched to plyweb each 10 cm. so for 3 m you need to do 30 * 3 (2drills in plank and 1 in plyweb) * 2 (top and bottom) * 3 (3 beams) = 540 small drills !!! I began to enter the differents pieces of plywood in a CAD program, for the moment the total length of line (total length of cut) is more than 200 meters !!!
maybe you can have a look on http://www.dilworth.org/boat/hitia.shtml and http://www.macchinedagiardino.com/hitia/index.html
I am fairly shy about modifying anything structural to the design. The raised cabin house forward (both sides) is not quite structural in nature but it had some potential implications on the aesthetics side. It turns out that I am very please with the results. I will be posting more photos soon but I have 6'2" minimum headroom in the forward cabins which in my view is a huge difference. These cabins went from being cramped and small to being fully useable and liveable cabins.
I am in the process of building my galley and that was modified as well. Once again, no structural modifications but in my view a better use of the available space.
My last planned modification will be the pod. I am not sure yet what I will do exactly but I do not like the one as per the plans. I have seen a few photos of the one done on "Argo" built by a guy from Spain (name escapes me right now) and I really like what he did. I may go that way.