Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Things that did not work - a listing of products that were disappointing

Let's not all make the same mistakes. If something does not work, let's share that so others can be spared the disappointment. We had a rigging wire disappointment:
The Tiki 46 plans came with a recommendation to use plastic impregnated galvanized wire (a Norseman product) for shrouds and as strops for the halyard blocks. We learned that Jeckells would make these up for us professionally in England and we were led to believe they would last around 20 years. In use, they have lasted 7 years and over 30,000 miles but now we are finding cracks in the plastic which let in salt water with corrosion of the wire as the disappointing result. Last month the strop holding our main sail peak halyard came adrift and fell to the deck. So our main sail was not used from Charleston, SC all the way to our summer mooring here in RI. A close look at the failed strop showed us that the plastic cracks were not the only problem. Water also got in past the swedge shrink sleeves causing wire breakage and there was chafe damage where the plastic in the loops wore away against the mast and revealed galvi wire to the elements. Needless to say, we have lost confidence in the product which was professionally made up to the design specs by the company recommended in the plans.
We do not fault Wharrams in this because they have the product on their own boat, but others with the same product on their boats might want to make a close inspection since loss of shrouds and strops at sea can be dangerous. This wire was designed, as we believe, for use commercially on large radio and tv antennas inland. Boats, especially flexible boats in salt water environments, are another situation entirely. We liked the smoothe plastic coating while it lasted because it was kind to the sails and our hands, but it is apparently not up to the job on our boat. This is simply our own opinion arrived at in use of the product and we have not contacted a trained surveyor.
Next week we will head to Maine where we plan to haul for painting, remove both masts for painting, and replace all wire rigging made with this Norseman made plastic impregnated galvinated wire. We may use plain olde fashioned stainless steel wire to replace it, but have had other suggestions of using some of the new fabric material on the market. At this point we are reluctant to use any material that is "new". In fact "new" is starting to look like a four letter word. Ann and Nev

Views: 765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ann+Nev, Bob and Jacques,

I'm very happy with the ideas coming from our discussion. The carbon fiber solution for the crossbeams where the lashing comes is pretty well. Better than my idea using PVC sheet protection.
And the rear beam made from wood with block spaces inside is at all very Wharram way and of course our way. At last, we love this boat style.
I built new forward and rear crossbeam for a Pahi 42' by plans and round the corners like you; it work and looks very good. I think that Jacques buit is lighter and will work well too.

Best winds,
Tarcisio.

Jacques said:
Hello Ann, Hello Neville.

Another idea I copied from your boat. Not wanting the aluminum pipe too, I scaled down the normal beams to half material (i.e: 2 layers of 9 mm instead of 2X18mm for the core) and made some cuts to make it lighter. looks great and very convenient to attach brackets or whatever we have to put on this beam.

It is also not that heavy, and seems stiff and strong. On the top of it, it is cheap: built with leftovers from the main beams building.

Plenty plenty of stuff I took from Peace, because usually very smart, minimal and above all proven at sea.



Here is a picture



Jacques

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service