Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Wanted to purchase a Pahi 42 to 50 footer, or Tiki of similar size

Hello all,
i am interested in purchasing a Wharram ocean going cat, likely the Pahi 42 or larger. Problem is that i am on the west coast of the US (PNW, Olympia WA to be precise) and so need to get the critter up here. I am looking at the various methods of transport as so few of the cats are in this region. Any ideas for boat, or transport methods would be appreciated. Project boats would be acceptable, as i have the skills (and now a nephew is signed on as labor so that helps), and the desire to get the work done. However i really want to avoid the time necessary to craft my own  from scratch. On a reasonably limited budget like everyone, but will be making this happen one way or the other.

Thanks for reading.
May 2010

clif in oly
good thoughts to planet earth as this gulf problem is way bad.

Views: 307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our Tiki 46 comes apart with the assistance of a crane and can go on three trucks. The process is expensive but you can do it. We built far from the ocean and moved the port hull on one truck, starboard hull on another truck, and the bits and pieces came on the third truck. We had strong cradles to hold the hulls upright on the trucks. It is lots more fun to sail boats and lots cheaper too.

Best of luck, Ann and Nev
Hate to be so forward, but what kind of costs and what year? Or perhaps less rudely, what percentage of the value of the vessel was involved in the 3 truck tango? Just trying to do due diligence research.
Hello Cliff,
When I had Kaimu trucked from California to Connecticut it cost about 7,000, maybe a little more. I had to buy them burgers at a C&W bar. The truckers were from Alabama. The prices now would be higher, but not a whole lot more. The freight agent was also a lawyer and she kept them from scaring me into ransoming my boat off their trailers when they asked for more money. "What are they going to do with it?" she said. It was too big for them to do anything but let the marina offload it. It only took 2 trucks. Some of the pix might be on multihulls.uk site.
Andy
Thanks for the reply. Prices about what was anticipated.

andy solywoda said:
Hello Cliff,
When I had Kaimu trucked from California to Connecticut it cost about 7,000, maybe a little more. I had to buy them burgers at a C&W bar. The truckers were from Alabama. The prices now would be higher, but not a whole lot more. The freight agent was also a lawyer and she kept them from scaring me into ransoming my boat off their trailers when they asked for more money. "What are they going to do with it?" she said. It was too big for them to do anything but let the marina offload it. It only took 2 trucks. Some of the pix might be on multihulls.uk site.
Andy
Our Tiki 46 was moved from the build site to the marina in 2002. I do not remember the cost but it involved crain hire for the day to load the boat at the build site, three low bed trucks, and the marina crain at the other end. You could look up the costs where you live for this.

Moving a partial build might be done using a borrowed or rented large truck with trailer hitch and a borrowed or rented boat trailer and making two trips to move two hulls. Bits and pieces of crossbeams, pod, foreward mast case etc could maybe be moved using a rented truck like a moving type van from maybe U Haul. It all depends on your situation. We used a professional boat moving company and it was expensive, but they really knew what they were doing and did it well. One thing that was important was their knowledge of where low hanging branches and power lines and hump back bridges etc out in our remote countryside location made it impossible for our hulls to pass. They knew the safe way to travel and detoured as needed. Once on the motorway, we were fine. In our situation we could not risk dropping a hull at that stage. Nor could we risk injury. But if you get a good enough boat already built or unfinished project, and perhaps not too expensive a purchase price, the moving expenses might be ok for you.

An uncompleted project is usually not worth much but if the work was done properly, and if it has not been deteriorating in sun and weather, it might be a great saving to you in time and material. Then the moving expense would make lots of sense. Often uncompleted projects need to be moved when it is clear they will never be finished. Divorce, illness, finances, loss of interest, etc all are problems some folks are unable to overcome. After building something, but having to give up, the builder just hates to saw and burn their own work. They would rather sell low and hope to someday learn their dream had at least come true somehow and somewhere for somebody.

Obviouslly it is important for anybody intending to buy plans, to sit themselves down and have an honest heart to heart talk with themselves about how much self discipline and determination is really there to finish the project. With the larger boats, this is really important. Having built our boat ourselves, we know how many difficulties arise. Anyone selling an unfinished project or their own home built boat at the end of the sailing years, deserves some kindness and consideration at the bare minimum. We were offered 250k for our boat on more than one occasion. I have no idea if this is a reasonable price or not. WE are still able to sail so are not interested in selling.

In today's economy, boat prices are often driven down by distress. there are some bargains out there, but you need to be careful not to buy poor workmanship. You might do yourself a favor by building a very small Wharram first off so you will train yourself as to what to look for in another person's work. You will learn if you are capable of building a larger boat or not.

Ann and Nev
Thanks for the information. I have been building boats for decades and have a sharpie near completion now, so evaluation of workmanship and materials quality is not really an issue. More problems arise from universe thinking i can do the work of 3 humans....

anyway, have had some experience in scoping this out now with one attempt at a purchase, so now must await universe's response and next set of work demands.

Still interested in locating either a project Wharram or completed boat for sale, so if you hear the faint rustle of a rumour of such, please forward my direction.
Here are some pictures of a Pahi 42 transport 1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eId5vXhAvck
And i thought i had issues. Perseverance furthers. Thanks for that. Very heartening actually. So, now, where do i find a critter i can move?
Andy, what was the name of the lawyer/freight agent? thanks in advance. Had PM'd but don't know if it got through.
Unfortunately I no longer have the info, it was amost 10 years ago, but I will look it up.
I will post.
OK, it was Landstar Ranger, but the agent is beyond me. She was a lady former lawyer and I think I got it from Soundings mag, but it's not there anymore. Also searching online didn't ring a bell. I will of course post it if I come across it.
Capgeraldo:
After this one, any boat transport looks easy! It's incredible!
Héctor.

Capgeraldo said:
Here are some pictures of a Pahi 42 transport 1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eId5vXhAvck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service