Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

I am really keen to hear other sailors stories about trips they have made and how their boats performed. This is the post construction joy time.

I have copied the story about my first trip delivering my Tiki 31 last Summer, onto my page, not sure if that is the right place, togethwe with some of the photos we took. It was a life changing trip and I'd love to hear other people's stories.

Paul

Views: 153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,
Nev and I have sailed our Tiki 46 which was hull #1. We have sailed Peace IV for over 30,000 nm and that includes one trans Atlantic followed by many trips up and down the US East Coast with the seasons from New England to the Bahamas each year. Peace has met or exceeded all our expectations and we are delighted.

WE are elderly at this point and are mostly interested in finding easy sail handling methods and greater comfort for our old bones. But Peace is a young boat still having been launched in 2002. Normally we sail alone, but Peace is comfy for visitors.

On our trans Atlantic we encountered a Beaufort Force 10 which was measured by a sea weather buoy at over 55 knots of wind and over 32 foot seas. This lasted for 2.5 days and we were fearful at first, but then discovered that the boat managed the situation well and we had no damage at all while lying to wind and weather under bare poles. This was a method that Ruth Wharram suggested to us . The boat rode well and it was loud and bouncy as she had said it would be. Down below we found things generally in place but a cereal box tipped over and a tray tipped.

We have sailed often downwind with only a third of the jib out in gale force winds and higher. Peace seems happy doing this, the boat is in control, and it is exhilerating to say the least. But my favorite is light air sailing with the boat just gliding along in day dream mode. She is fast if we keep the bottom clean.

We have lived aboard this boat since 2002 and lived aboard a barge while building her. Before that I owned a monohull 28 footer which was my home for 6 years and 25,000 miles mostly single handing including a trans Atlantic (Cape Cod to Ireland direct) until I met Nev . He sailed the last year with me on that boat from the UK to New England in the USA. OF all these boats, the easiest to live on is Peace IV and the best sailing is also Peace IV. Gradually she is getting easier to sail and I can now sail her alone if needed.

I know the long hours, days, weeks, months, and even years of boat building. I also know that the Wharram boats are worth the work. Once in the water, the work becomes much happier as you settle the sails and the ropes and the hulls together on the ocean. Take a full year doing that and make things easy for yourself. You likely learned a lot building the boat. Now take your time and make her easy to sail. We all approach sailing with our own ideas. So set things up your own way but let experience be your guide. In the work shed, you have no ideas based on experience. Wait for the water to show you what is needed.

Generally I think the Wharrams have had plenty of experience and they have made good designs. But I do think the designs are only a basic plan. There are many details left up to you and that is the wonderful thing. The basic plan is safe. The details are individual. Don't stray too far, and you get a great boat that expresses you and will get you there and back safely.

All the best, Ann and Nev

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service