Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

hello everybody, i have been thinking about a compromise between a full slatted deck for my tiki 26 and a trampoline,i love the idea of a timber deck on the boat but two things worry me as in the weight and the expense of suitable timber for a full deck here in oz,not only that but the cost of getting a trampoline made is eye watering,labor costs

being high in oz. a mate of mine has a pocket from a prawn trawlers net that he said i can have for buckshee,now my thinking is to have a central deck of about 1m between the mastbeam and fore beam slung under and lashed like boatsmiths and scotts but then somehow attaching the netting to either side of this bit of decking to the hulls.

any thoughts,ideas would be most welcome

cheers paul.

Views: 3056

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Tiki 26 "Paikea" have one ply deck (9mm) with reinforces. Lashed like canvas trampoline. Its one good idea its strong, but lighter...

Look below the dingue:

Another idea is one trampoline with car securit belt woven, but need some needlework.

In tikirio we will do a grill 4,5 cm timber with 4cm spaces and one ancor box below.

The solid deck will not shed water well and if a big wave slams the foredeck the pressure will be immense and probably break something. The other issue is that it is possible that wind can get under the deck and lift the boat.

yeah funny  thing i was reading somewhere about earlier cats with solid glass decks coming to grief i.e pitchpoling? and really spoiling someones day with a ruined deck and all.

Go to the Wharram site and read fhe story of Mother Ocean, a Pahi 42, crossing the Atlantic and encountering a week-long gale. They had a wave break a central catwalk that had been across the bow netting for many years...
Making a trampoline if you can find netting or webbing isn't that big of a deal. I sewed mine on my mom's old sewing machine. Get a decent grommet set. That's the key!  

Care to make your own netting?  Fish and Hammocks (more than)

thanks Kim,yes i read the article and it has put the mockers on the catwalk idea for me,a trampoline it will be for sure,they tell me girls like em too.

Gday Paul ,That cod end netting material is tough but uv will break it down pretty quick and its like having a foot massage to walk on.If your mates throwing it your way cant hurt to give it a go.cheers Dave

This is the good stuff!  Last ten plus years in the tropics. http://www.sailrite.com/Trampoline-Mesh-Super-30oz-White-71

Thomas Nielsen said:

This is the good stuff!  Last ten plus years in the tropics. http://www.sailrite.com/Trampoline-Mesh-Super-30oz-White-71
thanks thomas,is this like the ferrari material? on a different note i am reading a book about the travails of captain vancouver in the puget sound and north by jonathan raban called passage to juneau a very interesting read.
Raban lives in Seattle and is an interesting character. I have that book somewhere. Not sure what you mean by Ferrari material unless you mean cost. It is pricey but having gone through (as in stepped and then fallen) cheaper tramp material I decided I didn't want to do that again while sailing off shore, alone and wrestling with a sail up on the bow. The stuff is 71" wide so three to four yards should be enough to do a bow and stern tramp like I have on Tsunamichaser. 

paul anderson said:

Thomas Nielsen said:

thanks thomas,is this like the ferrari material? on a different note i am reading a book about the travails of captain vancouver in the puget sound and north by jonathan raban called passage to juneau a very interesting read.

Hello all,I have had a plywood foam core deck,a 2"x6" wood/epoxy deck,and a net/catwalk foredeck on my Tiki 30.I have found each has its pros/cons.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service