Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

When putting together my Tiki 21, I found the lashings time consuming and hard work. During the season some have also slackened slightly leading to some slight squeaking.

Today I was reading about Wharram's new Mana 24. Here it says the beams will be secured with webbing. This got me wondering, why could I not use a 25mm (1 inch) stainless ratchet and webbing?

Thoughts and comments would be welcome.

Views: 1482

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ian i am sure the ratchet option would work. i would be concerned about a sudden failure of one of these though,you would not have any prior warning imho.A mixture of both options may be a way to go,until you are absolutely sure of the ratchets?

I think Shane used cargo ratchet straps on one of his boats, The Tiki 30 and Tiki 8m both are standard with webbing and over center buckles.There was also a fellow who fabricated stainless rods with connecting bolts that he used too tighten his straps. The ratchet straps are available in stainless and varying strength ratings. I don't like the over center buckles.

just doing the lashings on my 46 and it is time consuming and hard work....but i have to say the whole build is that way, lol

The lashing do look better than buckles. It would be great to have the buckles out of view.

As a point of failure, I can see the advantage of the lashings. On the Tiki 21, loosing one beam fixing is probably not too serious whilst in inshore waters. I carry some good straps with buckles in case a lashing fails.

With a 46 I can see that lashings would be good, but with the Tiki 21 you're expecting to re-lash each season or more often if you trail the boat to different places.

I took a look at the over center buckles and they are more compact than ratchets. I was wandering what you don't like about them? If you have a photo of such a set up, them please share it if you have a moment. Thanks.

boatsmith said:

I think Shane used cargo ratchet straps on one of his boats, The Tiki 30 and Tiki 8m both are standard with webbing and over center buckles.There was also a fellow who fabricated stainless rods with connecting bolts that he used too tighten his straps. The ratchet straps are available in stainless and varying strength ratings. I don't like the over center buckles.

I just bought a heavy duty polyester/stainless ratchet with endless loop to test.  I'm going to replace one lashing with it for the balance of this season and see how it goes.  If it goes well, I'll replace the rest in the Spring.  It really takes too much time and physical effort to lash together a Tiki 21 and makes it that much harder to trailer it to the next location.  While they are not the best looking, I think they'll only take a minute or two each to setup rather than the 20 minutes (or more) they are currently taking.

Tiki 30 uses 2" 

Yes, I certainly started out thinking of 2-Inch straps.  I was concerned about how they would have to fold over to go around the hull cleats...  I'll try the 1-inch I ordered and see if it looks sufficient.  I think I'll put some padding under the strap where it goes over the beam to prevent crushing of the wood (perhaps a leather strip).

Hi, Did you get around to trying the webbing and ratchet? How did it go? Any photos?

Yes, I have had 11 of them (I left one of the old lashings) in place all season now.  I've never had to tighten one.  They are as tight today as the day I ratcheted them tight.  I'll be on the boat tomorrow and get some closeups for you!

Peter Baillie said:

Hi, Did you get around to trying the webbing and ratchet? How did it go? Any photos?

Great! Look forward to seeing them..

OK, here's a "shared album" on Google Photos. I hope everyone can see the content.  Let me know if I need to post the photos to this forum instead.  They are iPhone photos.  On some, you need to zoom in to see the ratchet strap.  Others are extreme closeups.  As you can see, there is a bit of surface rust showing at the end of the season.  I imagine I need to take them apart and shine them up between seasons.  I also spray some T9 Rust Inhibitor on them (but not often enough).  

Here's the link:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/28pzX7SwAM5OznoC3

Jeff

Peter Baillie said:

Great! Look forward to seeing them..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service