Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

I really want a Tiki 38, and am very close to having one built for me professionally. Can any of you who have sailed or own Tiki 38s comment on their performance a little for me. I understand that it is a cruising boat, and has compromises, but since I come from a long catamaran racing background, I am just a bit concerned about the performance. Does the Tiki 38 hobby horse more then the more modern designed cats? Do any of you wish the skegs were deeper for upwind pointing ability?

Views: 1398

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rod
I have a T38, Dragon which I launched 4 years ago in Durban, I have recently sailed her to the Caribbean and am now in Prickly Bay, Granada. They are great boats and I have been very pleased with her. My background sailing wise is that I used to race dinghies, 505's in particular so am pretty fussy when it comes to performance. The T38 has not dissappointed me. On the crossing I would tend to slow her down for comfort reasons rather than worry about her sailing like a dog.

At the moment I am living on her on my own waiting for Shauna to arrive. You can appreciate that there is no problem with space!! I did the crossing with one crew and as we each had our own cabin, it was great. 2 up she is very easily handled. This means that everything can be done single handed and a crew is there more for company and a peaceful sleep than to share the work.

Dave
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. There are so many great voyaging stories of other Wharrams on the net, but I haven't found any stories specifically featuring the Tiki 38. Great to hear you are enjoying your boat. I also raced 505s years ago. For daysailing and racing, I enjoy monohull skiffs very much, but for cruising, the cats win hands down. After cruising on our Valiant 42 mono, and on our Seawind cat, my wife refuses to cruise on a mono again. I had resolved myself to cruising another ugly cat, until I came across the beautful Tikis.....

When we were out cruising our cat people used to ask us how fast the boat would go all the time. We used to tell them that our top speed was 19, but we held her back to a comfortable 8-10 knotts so we could cook, sleep and rest. A cat that is jogging along easily at 8-10 is much more relaxing then a mono that is maxed out at hull speed at 7-8. It's really about the ease that the boat slips through the water.

Good sailing,
Rod

Dave Vinni said:
Hi Rod
I have a T38, Dragon which I launched 4 years ago in Durban, I have recently sailed her to the Caribbean and am now in Prickly Bay, Granada. They are great boats and I have been very pleased with her. My background sailing wise is that I used to race dinghies, 505's in particular so am pretty fussy when it comes to performance. The T38 has not dissappointed me. On the crossing I would tend to slow her down for comfort reasons rather than worry about her sailing like a dog.

At the moment I am living on her on my own waiting for Shauna to arrive. You can appreciate that there is no problem with space!! I did the crossing with one crew and as we each had our own cabin, it was great. 2 up she is very easily handled. This means that everything can be done single handed and a crew is there more for company and a peaceful sleep than to share the work.

Dave

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service