Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Last weekend we sailed for the first time! Putting together took us about 4 hours, for the first time not bad I think, next time will be a lot quicker. After leaving the boat for 3 days at the beach we un mounted on Monday and took her back home. The boat behaved fantastic, we had some srong winds and waves but no problems at all.For the next time I would like to gain some info about several topics, as I don't have any instructions and plans thee is a lot of guessing probably you guys can help me out a bit:
1. I have the idea the mast is a bit short, I can not raise the sail high enoug to see what's happening on the other side, as the sail has no window this is quite stressy when going out en coming back into the port. What is the actual length of a mast?
2. I noticed the deck is a bit wobbly, is this normal?
3. The boat came with two trampolines, we only managed to fit the front one, the one in the back will interfere with the mainsail sheet, any plans for a solid back deck to store stuff?
4. Are ther plans for a lowered cockpit like the boatsmith tiki 8m for a tiki 21?
5. Where is the best place to put the pulleys for the foresail?
Thanks for sharing opinions about above mentioned.

Views: 715

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A few comments in response to your questions:

1. I find the mast length a bit short and the main sail blocks the view. I have a standard length mast, but considered a slightly longer version. See here I went for the standard in the end, as I think Wharram put much effort into the stability design.

2. My decks are not wobbly, they fit in quite tight. I have previously pushed small blocks of closed cell foam into the beam area to jam the deck down and stop it coming up. Wharram's plans show a small wooden latch screwed to the beam to hold down the platform.

3. I fitted netting rails to the rear to take a net, but have yet to set it up. See here I followed Rory's advice.

4. I built new platforms with a deeper section in the middle to take the fuel tank and to lower the outboard.. See here. It is slightly lower than the standard design and is a success. I would not want to go any lower as I think waves will slap hard on the underside.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

as Ian points out the deck shouldn't be wobbly. I have two blocks that I screw into the front and rear beams which sit in between the top part of the ibeams and the top of the deck. 

Mast height on plan is 21 foot 6 inches or 6553. 

Don't have a rear tramp my self but will look to install one this winter. I am going to install a rear beam made of carbon and use half for a tramp area and half for a boarding ladder. I don't think you would want the weight of a hard deck at the rear of the boat - I find when I am motoring and I stand at the  front the motor cavitates a bit from the prop coming close to the water surface. So weight fore and aft effects the way the tiki sits quite a bit. 

I have wonder about doing that to my platform Ian as it would be nice to have the 20 litre fuel container off the deck; with the standard plan the container doesn't quite fit under the lid in the middle. I was concerned about water pushing the deck up from underneath in heavier seas though. 

Pulleys for the foresail - by which I guess you mean Jib (or do you mean Spinnaker). We have jib tracks running down side of the cabin and attach each pulley to one of those. When sailing downwind the jib car is bought forward and when sailing close into the wind they are bought back. When sailing a beam to the wind they are somewhere in between. This is something to play around with to gain the best sail shape for the direct to the wind you are travelling. If you have three sets of wind indicators on you jib - top, middle and bottom you will be able to see if you have the jib shaped well by the way they are flying. 

Great fun easy rig to sail on the tiki with the gaff rig and super safe. Enjoy. It seems to me they like to sail with some good shape in the sails (as opposed to being pulled flat). 

Jay,

When I bought the boat, I was forced to build new platforms as their renovation was equal to a rebuild. I elected to build a deeper box to take the fuel tank and I'm very happy with the result. It could carry around 20 litres in two tanks although I generally carry one 12 litre with extra fuel in cans in the front holds.

I do find we get hit underneath every now and again. But I think this is true of even the standard height. On my first trip with the new platform we had some chop and I was concerned. I mentioned this in an earlier post and Roger provided a response:

"Outside the Golden Gate here we get short steep waves that can give the underside a good hard slap - it can be a bit disconcerting, but I don't think it does any harm. The deck can lift a bit, and I guess this dissipates some of the energy. I have also had waves wash right over the deck, again with little apparent effect."

So I'm not longer that worried about this effect.

If you are interested I can upload some more details of the design for my platforms.

Thanks guys, useful tips. About the mast, mine is 6 m standard length of tubes and pipes, would like to make it 6.40m this will be enough , inner pipe, clear, dmentions also, not shure if the exterior is fixed with rivets, can't see this on the pic. How to taper the inner pipe? Is this necessary ?

Nice Ian, yes your design details would be interesting. Cheers

Ian Bamsey said:

Jay,

When I bought the boat, I was forced to build new platforms as their renovation was equal to a rebuild. I elected to build a deeper box to take the fuel tank and I'm very happy with the result. It could carry around 20 litres in two tanks although I generally carry one 12 litre with extra fuel in cans in the front holds.

I do find we get hit underneath every now and again. But I think this is true of even the standard height. On my first trip with the new platform we had some chop and I was concerned. I mentioned this in an earlier post and Roger provided a response:

"Outside the Golden Gate here we get short steep waves that can give the underside a good hard slap - it can be a bit disconcerting, but I don't think it does any harm. The deck can lift a bit, and I guess this dissipates some of the energy. I have also had waves wash right over the deck, again with little apparent effect."

So I'm not longer that worried about this effect.

If you are interested I can upload some more details of the design for my platforms.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service