Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Mast Height for Tangaroa MK1 formerly Taraipo, now Monali.

Hi All,

I am now the owner of a Tangaroa Mk1 formerly known as Taraipo and now renamed Monali.  Taraipo was dismasted in 2002 and has been sailing successfully with a jury rigged mast - basically a metal pole with no tracks.  I will eventually replace the mast (Bermudan rig) and want to know what height the mast should be.  Any feedback greatly appreciated.  Also, if anybody has figured out a decent way to incorporate a tiller extension, information on that would be great.

It's nice to be a part of this movement!

Wanjoo Kim

Views: 1034

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too have a Mark I Tangaroa however my rig is aft like a Prout.   Designed by Thomas Firth Jones.    Don't know if my information will help you or not. Check out my pics on this website and see what you think.  Bill

Hi

The Tangaroa MK IV mast  height for the single mast ( cutter rig ) is 34 feet with a boom length of 11 feet

The Tangaroa MK 1 would be the same.

Good luck with your new Wharram Catamaran.  I went on board when John was last in New Zealand - she seemed a good boat and I was  interested in her  cabin top  modifications which give more internal space, also her sturdy drive shaft system.

Don Brazier

New Zealand Wharram Agent

Hi Don, Yes, she is a seaworthy vessel despite her many years at sea!  Thank you for the information on the mast height.  I too am very impressed by the drive shaft and universal joint... an elegant and very workable system it seems.  I love having easy access to the diesel and my wife loves the fact that all the associated smells are out of the living spaces!  Again, thanks for your feedback.

Wanjoo

Don Brazier said:

Hi

The Tangaroa MK IV mast  height for the single mast ( cutter rig ) is 34 feet with a boom length of 11 feet

The Tangaroa MK 1 would be the same.

Good luck with your new Wharram Catamaran.  I went on board when John was last in New Zealand - she seemed a good boat and I was  interested in her  cabin top  modifications which give more internal space, also her sturdy drive shaft system.

Don Brazier

New Zealand Wharram Agent

Hi Wanjoo

Congrats on Taraipo/Monali!! I met John and Nicole in Durban on Taraipo in about 2007 and then again in Tahiti in 2009 and kept in touch until we met up in Opua, New Zealand. She is a great boat. As for her mast John wanted to lengthen it in Durban but decided in the end to keep what he had and got a new suit of sails which he was  happy with and sailed many miles with them. A new mast will cost you new rigging and a new suit of sails.

I am pleased Monali has a new owner to take care of her.

Dave

Hi,

Taraipo is an extended Tangaroa MK1. There is information about the first rig in the following links

http://www.multihulls.uk.com/wharram/taraipo.htm

http://www.multihulls.uk.com/wharram/tarap.htm

Hi Dave... Thank you for your message.  Based on the snippets of information I am getting, it certainly seems like John and Nicole made a lot of friends in a a lot of places!  The new mast is just pie in the sky for the moment.  There are other priorities for the moment.  Thanks for touching bases!

Wanjoo

Dave Vinnicombe said:

Hi Wanjoo

Congrats on Taraipo/Monali!! I met John and Nicole in Durban on Taraipo in about 2007 and then again in Tahiti in 2009 and kept in touch until we met up in Opua, New Zealand. She is a great boat. As for her mast John wanted to lengthen it in Durban but decided in the end to keep what he had and got a new suit of sails which he was  happy with and sailed many miles with them. A new mast will cost you new rigging and a new suit of sails.

I am pleased Monali has a new owner to take care of her.

Dave

Hi Andres... Thanks for the feedback. It was neat to see Taraipo before the modification! Best Wanjoo

Andrés said:

Hi,

Taraipo is an extended Tangaroa MK1. There is information about the first rig in the following links

http://www.multihulls.uk.com/wharram/taraipo.htm

http://www.multihulls.uk.com/wharram/tarap.htm

Hi  I built a Tangaroa mk 1 35 yrs ago and lived aboard for two yrs; I used a 40 ft alu profile positioned as per Wharram; forget how high the ketch mast was But I think my main mast was higher than specified by the plans(Bermuda ketch rig, no battens, hollow- cut leach) dennis.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service