Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Mast head fittings for aluminium masts on Tiki38 (30)

I am going to get my aluminium masts ready for this season and I still need some inspiration for the mast head fittings. I am looking for a simple and durable way to attach the shrouds, forestay and halyards.

Just using the design of the wooden masts does not really seem good because:
- when getting the mast up and down the loops always get out of place
- there is a kink/ bend in the wire right after the loops which can make the wire fail prematurely (as already reported from quite a few boats)
- the gaff can get caught in the shrouds on a reach

I would be looking forward to some pictures of others who encountered the same issue.

Thank you
Björn

Views: 2737

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bjorn, here are a few photos of my re-built masthead and fittings:

Above is the front view of the mast. . .The inset sheave is for the internal jib halyard; only having the peak and main halyard running through the gaff makes for less friction. I shaped the crane out of aluminum bar, drilled it for shackles, and drilled/routed it through the mast tube. The visible shackle is for the forestay, with the other two holes being for the light air sail halyard block and 2 single blocks for the peak and main halyards.   The shroud fittings are standard Dwyer Mast fittings. The large ss bolt pins both the shroud fittings and the crane in place, and I cut and routed a piece of 1/4"/6mm aluminum plate to fit the top of the mast. The top is held in place by screws tapped into the crane.

Mast up with rigging. If you go to my page here you can see these photos full-size.

Bonjour à tous

Pouvez vous me dire combien pèse un mat en bois de tiki 38?

Hi all
Can you tell me how much weight a matte wooden tiki 38?

Olivier

Kim,  I've had my aluminum tubing awhile and will soon assemble all this.  Do you have any new photos of the mast foot/tabernacle arrangement since we last discussed it?

Jacques, your reproduction of the Wharram masthead in aluminum looks great.  Did you also build the mast foot/step to plan?  Any photos of the other ends?

Scott

Bjorn, Jaques, Where you buy your mast? the mast of T38 is like T30 diameter, but a little higher. In Brazil we don't produce in this diameter, only especial buys up 800kg alluminium (= 12 T38 masts). Mybe I buy in USA or Europe is more cheap. Can you help me. Here have 4 T30 in building...

Scott,

I built the tabernacles quotes different. my masts can pivot backwards with a pin through the mast and an extension of the tabernacle. I have built also aluminium shoes on the under masts (witch the rake angle already on it) and a Delrin plate between the mast foot and the also aluminum counterpart.

Next time at the boat I will take some pictures.

Scott Williams said:

Kim,  I've had my aluminum tubing awhile and will soon assemble all this.  Do you have any new photos of the mast foot/tabernacle arrangement since we last discussed it?

Jacques, your reproduction of the Wharram masthead in aluminum looks great.  Did you also build the mast foot/step to plan?  Any photos of the other ends?

Scott

Thanks.  Some sort of pivoting arrangement with a pin is what I had in mind.  With the 26 it should be possible to lower the mast single-handedly to get under low bridges with a secure tabernacle arrangement.  Pictures of your set-up would be great.

Björn said:

Scott,

I built the tabernacles quotes different. my masts can pivot backwards with a pin through the mast and an extension of the tabernacle. I have built also aluminium shoes on the under masts (witch the rake angle already on it) and a Delrin plate between the mast foot and the also aluminum counterpart.

Scott, no news from me on the mast foot, but it looks like Bjorn is about to fill the void! That will be great; I'm going to need such inspiration for the foot when I finish the transformation to aluminum.

Kim, Sorry, but I forgot.  I knew you started out with a wooden mast head and wooden foot, but I didn't realize you were still using the wooden foot.  If I don't come up with a suitable alternative, I may go with the short wooden foot insert like Jacques has used (found a picture on another post).  It would work with my existing mast step on the beam, but I'm looking forward to seeing photos of these other methods first. I like the idea of pinning it in a tabernacle so that there is no way for it to slip during single-handed raising and lowering.

kim whitmyre said:

Scott, no news from me on the mast foot, but it looks like Bjorn is about to fill the void! That will be great; I'm going to need such inspiration for the foot when I finish the transformation to aluminum.

Attached the sketches for the tabernacles

Scott Williams said:

Thanks.  Some sort of pivoting arrangement with a pin is what I had in mind.  With the 26 it should be possible to lower the mast single-handedly to get under low bridges with a secure tabernacle arrangement.  Pictures of your set-up would be great.

Björn said:

Scott,

Attachments:

and some more

and more

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service