Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

I'd like to know what other Tiki owners have come up with to prevent marine growth on the rudder lashings.  It seems any anti-fouling paint would make the ropes too stiff and make the rudders harder to turn.  And once growth has started,  how to get rid of it? 

-Alf

Views: 525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

try DESITIN CREAM. we use it on propellors that we know wont be turning for a while rather than antifouling paint. it is used for diaper rash prevention on babies. it stick tenaciously anf does not affect flexibility

I covered the lashings with 3M 4200 and then many layers of ablative antifouling , only take the barnicles out time to time, the rest stays and doesn't bother too much. i will post some new pics later.

Mine are nicely coated with the anti-foul.

We have had the same rudder lashings on Peace IV for 10 years and 50,000 miles.  We have always just painted the rudder lashings with antifoul using a brush and we have  never had a problem.  We use ablative paint and the rudders just move nice and easy.  The lashings are made of dacron non stretch line.  I was doubtful about doing it this way at first, but have the faith now.    All the best,  Ann and Nev

My rudder lashings are painted with anti-fouling too and there are no problems to move the rudders.

Thanks all for your input...that will be #1 at the next haul out,  or on a beach.  In the meantime I will have to scrub often!  It's amazing how fast marine fouling grows;  far more aggressively than any terrestrial vegetation.  I only wish I had thought to ask this question BEFORE launching....

-Alf

I'm using lanolin grease on the all boat and kissed goodbye to expensive antifouling paint. I'm beaching the boat every 3 months or so depending on season. There is a strip of antifouling on the bottom where it sits on the sand. This way is legal to do it in Queensland, Au. but not allowed with poisonous paint.

Happy sailing  

Alf Bangert said:

Thanks all for your input...that will be #1 at the next haul out,  or on a beach.  In the meantime I will have to scrub often!  It's amazing how fast marine fouling grows;  far more aggressively than any terrestrial vegetation.  I only wish I had thought to ask this question BEFORE launching....

-Alf

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service