Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Hi all,

I'm a new member and this is my first post. So please let me know if I'm posting inappropriately or in the wrong area. I'm also a long time admirer of Wharram designs and so have taken the leap and purchased a pair of Wharram Pahi 26 hulls that I happened upon by chance.

What I'd love to do is to restore the boat to her former glory and one day sail her up the East Coast of Australia to Papua New Guinea and beyond.

I'm a carpenter and so have the basic skills but no plans to follow in the construction of the above. 

The Wharram shop will sell new plans but the cost exceeds what I've just paid for the hulls.

What I really need is a partial set of drawings covering the construction of the cross beams, centre pod and rudders or even better, a full set of used plans for a reasonable price.

Is there anyone who might be able to help me with the above at this early stage?

Cheers,

Brett

Views: 666

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Brett,

Probably not what you want to hear,,, but, buy the full set of plans from JWD.

Invest in your future - and your safety.  By buying the plans, you will have intimate knowledge of your ocean going vessel.  Trust me, whilst at sea, that 'knowledge' is priceless.  Financially, you are already way ahead of the game.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply Andy,
I completely agree on the need to build to plan from a safety and design integrity point of view.But I'm a bit stuck due to the fact that the original owner has effectively abandoned the hulls in lieu of paying their boat storage and cant be contacted. So they have the plans and I have the hulls! If I have no other option then yes..... I will need to purchase a new set! Any other leads on a used copy of plans for would be greatfully appreciated! I'm excited to get building soon!

Hi Brett,

I have just finished building a front beam as per plan to replace the one on my tiki 26. It got hit by a longtail boat in Thailand while anchored and replacement was the only option for me. I got lucky the guy missed the hulls.

As far as I can tell, it's the same design as on the Pahi 26, at least for the beam 2 and 3. It's immensely strong and in the case of the front beam of a tiki26, over build in my opinion (beam 1 and 2 are structural). Proof is that the production fiberglass tiki 26 uses a aluminum tube.

My first point is that you could try to consider other option for beams. Wharram triangular box beam requires simple tools but a HUGE amount of work. They were design 40 years ago when alloy tube and beam were less available and wood was cheap, not the case today.

My second point is that tiki26 plan are more available as more were build. There are 3xA2 sheets drawings about beam building.

Browse this forum, you'll find a tiki 21 with al beams, and even a tiki 26 using carbon!

A picture of a pahi 26 in the northwest USA shows log beam (on google).

Just my thoughts.

Your hulls look good.

Christian

Hiya Christian,

Thanks for your thoughts! They actually made a big difference to me! Wow....clobbered by a long boat. Too much rice wine perhaps!

I'm going to expand my search for Tiki 26 plans and cost out aluminum as an alternative. I wonder if anyone has already done this for a Tiki 26. It might better resist a longboat collision!

And so- is there anyone out there who has a used set of Tiki 26 plans?

Cheers

Brett

Mawibo said:

Hi Brett,

I have just finished building a front beam as per plan to replace the one on my tiki 26. It got hit by a longtail boat in Thailand while anchored and replacement was the only option for me. I got lucky the guy missed the hulls.

As far as I can tell, it's the same design as on the Pahi 26, at least for the beam 2 and 3. It's immensely strong and in the case of the front beam of a tiki26, over build in my opinion (beam 1 and 2 are structural). Proof is that the production fiberglass tiki 26 uses a aluminum tube.

My first point is that you could try to consider other option for beams. Wharram triangular box beam requires simple tools but a HUGE amount of work. They were design 40 years ago when alloy tube and beam were less available and wood was cheap, not the case today.

My second point is that tiki26 plan are more available as more were build. There are 3xA2 sheets drawings about beam building.

Browse this forum, you'll find a tiki 21 with al beams, and even a tiki 26 using carbon!

A picture of a pahi 26 in the northwest USA shows log beam (on google).

Just my thoughts.

Your hulls look good.

Christian

I was told the longtail boat was traveling at 6 knots, I estimate the weight of such boat at 2 tonnes.

The boat hit the forestay bridle which snapped immediatly, the mast...

The beam cracked but the lashing never moved. It's nice to trust lashing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service