Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

I want to build sliding companionway hatch rather than the Wharram-designed lifting version for the coachtops of my Tiki 38. However, I have no good references to work from. If anybody can provided close up photos and/or drawings it would be really helpful!

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have read on some site or other that the standard sliding hatches on the tiki 30 have blown open and broken things. Yes it's true. Our Tiki 30 was in our yard recently when hurricane Fay blew by. Not a direct hit but still had winds in the neighborhood of 45-50 mph. It was enough to blow open one of the companionway hatches and when it two blocked, tore the teak brackets right off the house top. This was with the lexan drop board in place. Obviously if the hatch had been secured this would not have happened.Also we had not yet installed a limiting line which I believed would have prevented the damage. Just my nickles worth. David
boatsmith said:
I have read on some site or other that the standard sliding hatches on the tiki 30 have blown open and broken things. David

Actually the same has been said of the hinged hatches originally designed for the Tiki 38 – and they DO blow back from your hand in a strong wind. Thus my interest in sliding hatches.

C
"The Self-sufficient Sailor" by Lin & Larry Pardey gives a pretty good example of an offshore sliding hatch. There is also a good example in "This Old Boat," which I believe has some building instructions as well.

I have both of these books, but cannot locate them at the moment.

Shane

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service