where are you in Rio? I live on São Francisco Xavier st., Maracanã. I waiting for the Tiki 26 building plans I've just bought. Is Hinemoa a multihull?
At 12:06pm on September 12, 2009, Pete Rigby said…
TECHNICAL DATA SHEET
WATER BASED EPOXY WOOD COATING SYSTEM
RESOLCOAT 1010 is a unique epoxy system formulated for the coating of wood.
It provides excellent adhesion to timber, a very good finish and can be over
coated without sanding. Also suitable to repair damaged timber.
RESOLCOAT 1010 is used as a varnish and as a primer. Being water based, the
system is almost insensitive to moisture in wood or the environment. Available in
glossy and matt finishes. Suitable for priming wood, coating floors, protecting
and repairing wood. Part of the FORMULA WOOD range.
2 hardeners are available: 1014 (GLOSSY) and 1016 (MATT)
Mix both resin and hardener first, stir the mixture and then add water if required.
The mixing ratio must be accurately measured. It is not possible to change the ratio, it would result in lower mechanical
properties. The mixture should be thoroughly stirred to ensure full homogeneity. It is important to pay attention to the
RESOLCOAT 1010 is formulated to protect and enhance wood surfaces. The system can be
used as a sealant (2 coats over plywood sheets prior to using them in boat construction), a varnish
(marine and floors), a structural enhancer for damaged timber.
• The surface should be clean of dust and degreased prior to applying the coating.
• The system can be applied by brush or roller.
• A fresh coat of Resolcoat 1010 is visible, due to its milky aspect. This colour disappears when
curing as the water is expelled from the film the same way a solvent works. This feature is very
useful since it makes the fresh coat visible to the user.
• At least 2 coats should be applied as a single coat may stay slightly microporous (letting steam
through but not water).
• Resolcoat 1010 is compatible with the other FORMULA WOOD systems and all epoxy products
• Sanding is not necessary between coats as long as recoating occurs within one week.
• The system can be used with or without adding water. Adding water will make it even thinner
and ensure a deep penetration of the timber. The water acts as a thinner and evaporates.
• When using a large batch, we advise stirring the mixture from time to time in the pot.
• To repair damaged or rotten timber, dilute with 1 volume of water to reduce viscosity.
• Tools cleaning with water.
• RESOLCOAT 1010 cannot be used for laminating fiberglass since it is water based.
For more information, please refer to the applications technical bulletins (TechNotes), available
MIXING RATIO 1010 + 1014 (GLOSSY) 1010 + 1016 (MATT) WATER
BY VOLUME 1 + 1 2 + 3 0 to 1
35 Impasse Emeri.
13510 Eguilles. France
Tel. +33 442 950195
Fax. +33 442 950198
Pot life 1 hour at 20°C.
Touch dry 3 hours at 20°C.
Hard 12 to 24 hours.
Full cure 24 hours at 20°C.
Overcoating After 5 hours.
• USE AS A PRIMER: apply 1 to 2 coats of 1010 + 1014 over the wood.
• USE AS A VARNISH: Apply 1 coat of 1010 + 1014 first. Overcoat with 1010 + 1014 for a
glossy finish and 1010 + 1016 for a matt finish.
UV resistance: For applications requiring high UV resistance, apply a polyurethane varnish as a
last coat or a layer of Resolcoat 1070. This is not required for applications inside.
RESOLCOAT 1010 produces a thin protective film with a high solid content.
PHYSICAL & MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
Epoxy bis phenol A/F Epichlorhydrine with polyamine hardener.
Viscosity Mixture: 300mPas Resin: 100mPas hardeners: 300mPas
Abrasion resistance <100mg/1kg/1000 cycles (CS17).
Flexural resistance No effect on a plate curved on a 32mm radius.
Chemical resistance High resistance to toluene (3-7 days), bleach 10vol (7-28 days), ethanol
(>28 days), nitric acid (>28 days), lactic acid (>28 days), deionised water (>28 days).
PACKING, TRANSPORT & STORAGE
RESOLCOAT 1010 is available in packs of 2Kg, 4Kg, 10Kg, 20Kg, 60Kg and 400Kg.
Shelf life is one year in sealed containers as provided. Keep containers sealed and away from
heat and cold.
Do not store in freezing temperatures.
HEALTH & SAFETY
RESOLCOAT 1010 is amongst the safest epoxy systems available. The hardener is so safe it is
even not UN classed. In case of skin contact, just wash with water as it is water soluble.
In case of eye contamination, wash with plenty of water and seek medical.
I buy this from a company in Bristol, UK.. I believe this resin is manufactured by a company in France called REA Industrie
Luis, we have sent you an email but just in case do not receive it We are John and Kat from Australia, members of the PCA and we are building a 42' Pahi due to launch in about a year. We will be in Salvador on 23rd January and Rio on 25th January - each just for the day. If you are going to be in the area and would be happy to meet with us to discuss Wharram building and owning, we would enjoy it very much. Please let us know as soon as possible.
John and Kat