Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Rating:
  • Currently 0/5 stars.

Views: 262

Comment by paul anderson on June 28, 2016 at 6:19pm

How did this happen Adriano?

Comment by boatsmith on June 29, 2016 at 8:41pm

no words?

Comment by adriano meis on July 24, 2016 at 9:05am

Hard to explain in english but I'll try....

I probably build the beam too sharp... the piece of wood under the beam had not enough space to move as they sholud...

I don't know if I could explain, but I would like to have yours opinion

Comment by Brandon Gamble on November 8, 2016 at 5:04pm
Was it mounted with hardware and epoxy or just epoxy? Brad experienced this with his T21 Beto. His was epoxy only I believe. In bumpy water the beam puts a lot of shearing force (lateral) on those sockets. I recommend through bolting them with a fresh epoxy bond. At least 2 bolts per socket and no smaller than 6mm 316ss
Comment by adriano meis on November 9, 2016 at 12:04pm

there were bolts, but they were rusted. We are noe working on it. Original plans suggest only epox or even bolts. 

Anyway don't you think it souldn't happen anyway even with bumpy waves?

Comment by Brandon Gamble on November 9, 2016 at 12:16pm
The bolts are just as important as the epoxy bond... They provide the shear strength... I would only use 316 stainless and Personally I would use 4 bolts. Also if the lashings are loose this increases the stress on each part. The lashings must be very very tight. You should only ever see movement in a very heavy sea and only a very small amount at that. If there is any banging or thudding of the beam to boat connection then it's way way too loose
Comment by Brad Ingram on November 10, 2016 at 7:13pm

My failure was due to loose lashings and waves in a massive squall pushed the boat into the pier so lot of lateral force on beams (tied to end of pier). I put two 3.5" long and 1/4" width stainless screws down into them. I countersank the screws and filled in the top with epoxy. I wouldn't be against adding another screw to each socket. Due to the location of the beam blocks on the 21, I don't know if you could get a washer and nut underneath as mine are directly over the sheer stringers. That's why I just went with some big screws. Haven't had an issue since, but I have since frapped with Dyneema. I tied a clove hitch to a screwdriver and really crank the shit out of each turn on the frappings. Solid as a rock now!

Comment

You need to be a member of Wharram Builders and Friends to add comments!

Join Wharram Builders and Friends

© 2020   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service