Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

I built a Hinemoa 23 in my basement/backyard & launched april 2010, i have a job & so completed it in sparetime & weekends in 10 months, JW estimated 500hrs. For the T38 JW estimates 2200hrs. What say you that have built a T38?

Views: 1244

Replies to This Discussion

I don't believe anybody has completed one in 2200 hrs.

thanks boatsmith,  2200hrs is 55 40hr weeks, of course everyone has their own pace, & i would have an advantage having built a smaller one, I suppose I'm at the chin scratching stage, boats seem so cheap to buy yet materials keep going up.

I love the soft wingsail rig on my hinemoa, super effiecient, pretty too, tacks well, heaves to like a bird + have reached 13.2 knots. Now i want a 38 with 2 wingsail rigs to venture further.  looking for encouragement, has anyone finished one in 2years?

& if I dare to ask, at what cost?

Darren I think, if you work only in the boat (full time) you can do in 2 years. But anybody need to pay the bills...

Darren Soper said:

thanks boatsmith,  2200hrs is 55 40hr weeks, of course everyone has their own pace, & i would have an advantage having built a smaller one, I suppose I'm at the chin scratching stage, boats seem so cheap to buy yet materials keep going up.

I love the soft wingsail rig on my hinemoa, super effiecient, pretty too, tacks well, heaves to like a bird + have reached 13.2 knots. Now i want a 38 with 2 wingsail rigs to venture further.  looking for encouragement, has anyone finished one in 2years?

& if I dare to ask, at what cost?

it took my wife and me 2 years and 6 month (70% part-time work) to complete our tiki46....

you can ask a million people how long it will take.... if you can not figure it out your self, because only you know how efficient you work, it will take you a lifetime... study the building plans more then one time and make a task-plan what work you will be do, in with time frame etc... just like everything in life. make a plan and stick to it and you will know when you finish... there is anyway a lot what will happen on the way... this you can not calculate...good luck

hans

Hi Darren. It is now about 7 1/2 yrs later. 

How long did your T38 build take in the end?

My wife and I both work and have recently started a T38 build of our own.

Hi Grant, 

well things went like this; I eventually decided on an Easy 37 bridgedeck cat, that I started in January ‘14 & launched in June ‘18,  enjoying her 1st cruise up the Qld coast now. Somehow all the hours spent fade into insignificance now.

one thing that helped me get started was realizing that it may take 5 years, but if you don’t get started, 5 years will go by anyway.  Good luck with your ship Grant, it will be so much more you than a bought one.

Grant Waugh said:

Hi Darren. It is now about 7 1/2 yrs later. 

How long did your T38 build take in the end?

My wife and I both work and have recently started a T38 build of our own.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service