Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

I am in the U.S. and looking at Yanmar D27 outboards to power my Tiki 38. There is a place in England that rebuilds them. I was looking at ordering one or 2. They aint cheap and expensive to ship. With shipping, maybe $7,000 or less. Is anyone interested in a group order? There are some videos on youtube, just type in Yanmar d27.

The motors were not imported to the us after 1996 and they stopped making them a couple years ago.

Here is what the company does to the motors:

Our engines are built to order. They are usually  totally stripped. The crank shaft is sent away to be re-balanced and main bearing renewed, the pistons and conrods are renewed, valves ground and new guides if they are worn. It’s more of a re con than a re-build.

The leg & gearbox is removed and checked. anything that needs doing is done. The gearboxes never seem to need much work. They are well over engineered for the kind of HP they put out.

Then they are painted whatever color the customer wants, tested on a boat for 3-4hours of continuous use then shipped off.                                                    Price is $5600 for a non-tiller arm and $6700 with tiller arm.

Buyer make their own freight arrangements.

Views: 4111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It makes me wonder ! Why did Yanmar stop manufacturen these motors. And why is none for sale and the need for rebuild? It appers to me that there is something in the basis about these diesel outboards that is not right. I have been driving diesels for many years and many af these mass prodused engines last for just about forever.

just my 2cents worth.

G'day Chuck.
I have owened three boats befor i bought the tanenui that i now have.
On my 23 foot yacht i had an 9.9 high thrust drive. 4 Stroke very reliable and drove my yacht whitch wheighed 3.5 tons empty very well. Two of these would be all you need on your boat. I live in Australia, and the diesel motors have been discontinude hear deu to, cost, weight of the motor, and the reliablity of the 9.9. When i can afford it, i will be putting one on big tane. But you will need two oneon each hull. A lot of catamarans hear in australia have done that and the oweners say the beat thing they did on ther boats.
Thats my view on the subject. If you do go this way, include an spare propeller as these motors have an rubber bush in the prop over time the bush wears out and needs replacing. When that happens, the worn prop turns at low revs. So by replacing the prop you still can use the boat as you normaly would it takes around an 10 days for them to send the prop of and replace the bush and send it back. So its worth having the spare prop if you install the 9.9 high thrust drive motor. Good luck.
Merry cristmas.
Gerry on big tane.
Toora.

What was the primary market for the Yanmar outboards - USA - banned their importation many years ago for reasons of non-compliance with new smog regulations. Though still popular in the US, eventually Yanmar stopped production without enough available demand. For that reason, they are only available on the used market.

Soren Carlsen said:

It makes me wonder ! Why did Yanmar stop manufacturen these motors. And why is none for sale and the need for rebuild? It appers to me that there is something in the basis about these diesel outboards that is not right. I have been driving diesels for many years and many af these mass prodused engines last for just about forever.

just my 2cents worth.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service