Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

I am in the U.S. and looking at Yanmar D27 outboards to power my Tiki 38. There is a place in England that rebuilds them. I was looking at ordering one or 2. They aint cheap and expensive to ship. With shipping, maybe $7,000 or less. Is anyone interested in a group order? There are some videos on youtube, just type in Yanmar d27.

The motors were not imported to the us after 1996 and they stopped making them a couple years ago.

Here is what the company does to the motors:

Our engines are built to order. They are usually  totally stripped. The crank shaft is sent away to be re-balanced and main bearing renewed, the pistons and conrods are renewed, valves ground and new guides if they are worn. It’s more of a re con than a re-build.

The leg & gearbox is removed and checked. anything that needs doing is done. The gearboxes never seem to need much work. They are well over engineered for the kind of HP they put out.

Then they are painted whatever color the customer wants, tested on a boat for 3-4hours of continuous use then shipped off.                                                    Price is $5600 for a non-tiller arm and $6700 with tiller arm.

Buyer make their own freight arrangements.

Views: 4890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, Marty

I'm no expert and cannot advise you with any sound experience, but you might look for a D36, as it has more horsepower. They are more scarce than D 27's, though. I am still looking, but will send you contacts after I finally get my motors. I requested being your friend so we can communicate directly.

Chuck
Hi Chuck,

Found a D36.... brand new at only.... wait for it.... 27,195 GBP excluding Vat.. I think i'll pass on that as i could nearly put a dual motor diesel electric system for that price....

I'll keep looking and any assistance will be appreciated..

Cheers

Marty
Hey, Marty

You gotta kiss a lotta toads before you find your Prince!
Hi Chuck..

My lips are puckered... bring on the toads....

Keep in mind though i like to get kissed before i get F***ed..... ;)

Cheers

Marty
My standards for motors are high. Yanmar has been in the business for a hundred years. Parts availability is worldwide, as are the technicians to repair them. I have a repair manual available from Yanmar dealers. The Chinese stuff may or may not be good, but at this point, I need proven technology. This same standard caused me to reject E- Pods. I cannot be a guinea pig for experimentation.

Chuck
I like that about not being a guinea pig for experimentation. Hoorah for you! Ann and Nev

Chuck Valley said:
My standards for motors are high. Yanmar has been in the business for a hundred years. Parts availability is worldwide, as are the technicians to repair them. I have a repair manual available from Yanmar dealers. The Chinese stuff may or may not be good, but at this point, I need proven technology. This same standard caused me to reject E- Pods. I cannot be a guinea pig for experimentation.

Chuck
Chuck Valley said:
I cannot be a guinea pig for experimentation.

Chuck

Unless it's FREE!!!
OK, Shane,

I'll be down to pick up my free propulsion system next month.........unless it's a Yuloh!
Noooooo. Its not a yuloh. That would just be mean.

It's a manual paddle wheel connected to an exercise bike. I call it Man-Hybrid Propulsion.

Don't worry, you'll like it.

BTW: Poop Deck?? Is that so that your cat knows where to do his business?

Chuck Valley said:
OK, Shane,

I'll be down to pick up my free propulsion system next month.........unless it's a Yuloh!
Perfect!
A 1 MP (manpower) paddlewheel mounted between the hulls.
You couldn't figure out where to put the"Screw Room" plaque so the "Poop Deck" plaque should have been easier.
I may have found a couple used Yanmar D27 motors....... The deal can always fall apart, so I won't say more. The cost: twice the price of 2 new Yamaha 9.9's! Plus shipping, spare parts, customs, handling..............

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service