Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Im soon to be sanding and painting my Tangaroa for the first time and need to roll and brush it,due to other boats in close proximity in the yard I have it,but have no idea what paint I can use,or what not to use...is house paint gonna do the trick?

Views: 979

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey carl. is it sam's old tiki21.

Hi yes its Sams old boat. I bought it about a year ago. Hope he likes the new colour.

wakataitea said:

hey carl. is it sam's old tiki21.

FWIW I repainted Dragon (T38) a couple of weeks ago. I did her hulls, beams decks and pod. This was a 3 week marathon. I removed the mid decks and the motor pods to get access to the inner hulls. Her original paint was a two part polyurethane, primarily white which lasted 10 years but at the end was oxidising to the point that when I wiped my hand over the paint, a white powder came away on my hand. I had sprayed her originally. The stripes were an automotive 2 part paint. This held up better than the white.

So I repainted with an automotive 2 part paint which sprayed on very well. I have not redone the stripes, they will be buffed up and that will do the trick.

While cost is always a factor, if it lasts well the cost is well spent. The effort in repainting is huge. While I had help removing and replacing decks and motorboxes, the rest I did on my own. So I opted for what I was told was the best paint for the job. If I get 10 years out of it, the cost and effort will be well worthwhile!

Dave

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service