Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Please can someone inform me of the correct routing of the jib sheets. I assume they are tied to the clew then run back to a block on the side of the cabin. From there i only have a large cleat on the inside of the deck 'box'. Its facing forwards and isn't positioned for the sheet to go directly to it. 
Maybe a cam block directly on the cabin side?

Views: 378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

However the sheet is run, I would not use a cleat for it. The sheet may need to be let fly in an instant to save your bacon, or broccoli, as the case may be! If you have the right fair lead to it, a cam-cleat will work.

If the block is fixed, make sure you get an equal pull down on the leech, and back on the foot. The sheet should typically be on a line that, if extended from the clew, nearly bisects the luff of the sail. Or just a bit below the center of the luff. Experimentation before actually drilling holes is good!

I have two paths for the jib sheet: a track and car mounted on the edge of the seat used for going to weather that really tightens the angle of the jib to the centerline of the boat. The other path for the sheet goes thru a turning block at the end of the aft beam, to a cheek block on the back of the cabin, to a flying double block at the aft center of the cockpit: this is for reaching and running. But then I never make things easy for myself. . .
The instructions call for the sheet to be terminated with a single block. One end of the line that runs through this block on a short lead attached to a wooden adjustment strip attached to the cabin side by bulkhead #3. The other end of this line runs through another block on another short line attached to the adjustment strip. Easier to picture than it is to describe, it does give a 2:1 purchase on the sheet. I think the ideal sheeting angle should be somewhere about 7 degrees from the centerline. I said ABOUT.

The biggest improvement I was able to get on a 505 was to have someone from North go sailing with me and help me make adjustments to where it all should be. Having your sailmaker go out with you is still a great idea.
How about winches? I have seen a single winch located centrally on the aft beam of the Matjaz Chvatal, and two mounted at the junction of the middle and lateral thirds of the aft crossbeam on a Boatsmith Tiki 8m. I am currently refitting my recent Tiki 26 acquisition, the Espresso, and it has none. Clearly it has been sailed without a winch, and they cost an arm and a leg, so I'm wondering: how important are they? one or two? and where to mount?
Here is Vaea's current setup:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1103/4728774886_646871d81a_z.jpg

I got two of the smallest self-tailers Andersen makes; I couldn't resist because Defenders put them on sale. Still very expensive! You are right, winches are not absolutely necessary to sail a tiki 26. You can always head up a bit if you want to trim the jib sheet a bit more. Or as designed, a small purchase system as Russell mentioned.

Winches do make it a bit easier, and they can be used for other tasks. I put mine about 12" in front of the aft beam, adjacent to the seats. I cross-sheet the jib so I can handle the tiller and the winch from the windward seating position while sailing.

Don't let the lack of winches stop you from sailing! You can always add them down the line, should you desire.
This is my arrangement.
Attachments:
Thanks Kim & Andres. Good to know that one can get adequate purchase without a winch. I think I'll start out with something like Andres's setup as it looks much less expensive than winches, but as Kim points out, I can always add a winch later if I really feel the need, or find one cheap.

Kim: I see you're in the L.A. area. I learned to sail keelboats out of MDR. I miss the beer can regattas and the weekend trips to Catalina!
A good place to look for cleating jib blocks like that is on beach cat forums... I found my Harkens for 70 for a pair and new they were 150 a piece.. Just a little FYI

Randall Anselmo said:
Thanks Kim & Andres. Good to know that one can get adequate purchase without a winch. I think I'll start out with something like Andres's setup as it looks much less expensive than winches, but as Kim points out, I can always add a winch later if I really feel the need, or find one cheap.

Kim: I see you're in the L.A. area. I learned to sail keelboats out of MDR. I miss the beer can regattas and the weekend trips to Catalina!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service