Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Hello all, after nearly 14 years of sailing Mango we have decided to go for a bigger boat with a view to living aboard so Mango is up for sale.  If your are interested get in touch, we have photos, videos and more detailed info.  A summary of Mango is below and she has featured in a number of Sea People articles as well as postings here. There is a blog of our sailing since 2011 and more details and pictures at http://mangoelephant.blogspot.com/

Robert and Helen Sheridan

Send a message via this forum to get in touch

Mango Elephant is a Wharram Tiki 30 with a central cabin (pod). Mango was built to plan and to a high standard by the builder. The second, and current, owners added the pod and have evolved her into a self sufficient micro cruiser with bow and stern netting, wind vane and electronic self steering and other additions and refinements which make her easy to sail single handed.  Mango can comfortably sleep 4 in the main cabins and the forepeaks can also be used as single berths.

Mango was originally launched in 2001, purchased by the current owners in 2005 and refitted in 2008/9 when a central cabin was added as per plans by James Wharram Designs. Since 2015 many items, including sails, have been replaced with new and she has hardly been sailed in the last 2 years.  Replacement netting is waiting to be fitted and then Mango is ready to cruise. If necessary Mango can be delivered anywhere in the Med, Biscay and up to the North Sea.

The central pod provides a sitting area which can be used as 2 single berths or converts into a large double bed. Wharram Designs say that the berths in the main hull cabins are doubles, but we found them better used as generous single berths. For extended cruising the forepeaks have been used for storage rather than as berths. All the berths have extensive storage underneath them and there is additional storage in aft lockers.

The bows and sterns have crash compartments and the keels have sacrificial strips encased in kevlar tape to provide protection when grounding.  Lashings supplement the inboard straps on the aft and mast beams.

Mango is very well equipped.  The key items that come with Mango are:

• Forestay (2017) bridle (2014) Spectra shrouds (2015) and lazy forestay (2011)
  • Main (2016) and furling genoa (2017) almost new condition
  • CDI furler reconditioned in 2017
  • Hanked no.3 jib for strong winds in good condition
  • Asymmetric spinnaker (2001) with snuffer (2016) in excellent condition
  • Storm sails in excellent condition
  • Rocna and plough anchors with warp and chain
  • Icom VHF DSC Radio with Command Mi (2017)
  • NASA AIS
  • NASA combined depth and log
  • NASA Navtex receiver
  • MLR FX312XC GPS
  • Echomax Active XS radar reflector (2011)
  • LED tricolour and anchor light
  • 4 solar panels rated at 35w each fitted 2014(1) and 2016(3)
  • Forgen 1000 wind generator (2011)
  • Starboard battery 125 ah(2013), Starboard battery 142 ah(2015)
  • Seafeather wind vane steering
  • Tillerpilot electronic steering
  • Jackstays
  • Fenders and warps
  • Dinghy
  • Cockpit tent
  • Yamaha 8hp outboard
  • 12 / 220 v cool box
  • Alcohol stove in galley plus single burner portable gas stove

Views: 2435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Robert, I'm interested. Friend request sent

What a nice little well set up boat.

Ian! Abandoning the small boat club?

Ian Bamsey said:

Robert, I'm interested. Friend request sent

Not a this time Roger. I do like the adventure the small boat brings. Last summer I overtook a 30ft boat in a messy 4 to 5 ft swell. We looked great as we sped by with the asymmetric pulling hard with the deck awash every now and then. That was a 4 day trip over 140 miles. When the sun was out it was great, but there was a couple of blowy days tied up trying to cook in the rain. I've spent my life doing similar trips in kayaks etc. Even months at a time. I like it. But my wife doesn't!

Recently we've taken a couple of bare-boat charters. Last summer we did Croatia. The reality is a Tiki 30 would give the family access to the sort of sailing they do enjoy rather than the sort that hell-men like you an me enjoy, weather permitting ;-)

Ian

P.S. This Tiki 30 might be nice, but outside of my budget I think. 

Hi. Couldn't access broker. R you still selling? Best, Guy

Hi Robert. I am intrigued with the tiller Pilot set up you have on mango elephant. I hope to do the same or similar set up on my Tiki 30. Were you happy with this set up and is there anything you would do differently if you were to do it again. Thank you and good luck with the sale of your boat . Pat

Running the electric tiller pilot out of the stbd cabin works well, the only down side is that it blocks access but we do not go down there often when sailing and generally only use the tiller pilot when motoring or very light winds.

Robert

patrick lennon said:

Hi Robert. I am intrigued with the tiller Pilot set up you have on mango elephant. I hope to do the same or similar set up on my Tiki 30. Were you happy with this set up and is there anything you would do differently if you were to do it again. Thank you and good luck with the sale of your boat . Pat

Hi Robert,
I'm also interested in Mango if it isn't too late already. How much are you asking for her?

Hi James, it looks as if our current buyers will complete the purchase of Mango,  if the sale falls through I will post here.

Robert

Now sold.

We have a new cat, not a wharram but ply epoxy and a wharram / hobie inspired hull shape so we still have a loose connection :-)

Happy sailing

Robert

Off topic a bit, but Im curious what is it that wharram/hobie inspired cat you have now...?

Robert Sheridan said:

Now sold.

We have a new cat, not a wharram but ply epoxy and a wharram / hobie inspired hull shape so we still have a loose connection :-)

Happy sailing

Robert

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service