Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Well i finally bit the bullet and got my Tiki 26 plans direct from Wharrams. I got ripped off 70% duty by Philippines customs but the pain of that is now subsiding as i get into the build. Ive started cutting the templates etc.after a good study of the plans. One observation that comes to mind is regarding the skeg / keel joint. It looks a bit precarious as the keel is only just notched onto the skeg. Am i being over cautious or what? I thought about extending the edge of the skeg to about 5 inches under the keel for peace of mind . Can anyone see a reason not to ?

Views: 186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Likely over cautious. . .If you did extend the keel, you would have to cut deep into the stern post, which would be extra work. By the time you do the epoxy/glass fillets, the sum is greater than the parts and you have a very strong hull.
Ruth,
Don`t worry about that. My Tiki30 plans show the same kind of connections along the keel. It becomes very strong once you have done the fillets. My experience: stick to the plans for the hulls and you will find them plenty strong. Enjoy the building.
Ralf

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service