Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Hello,

some people here will know AORAI as one of  the junk rigged Wharrams around.

After three years of cruising from Europe down to Buenos Aires and then north again to the Caribbean we want to sell her now. We still love the boat for her deckspace, easy handling and downwind abilities, but we realised, that we want to visit the higher latitudes like Patagonia, Greenland or Alaska, too. So we bought a monohull, steel schooner (we know - it´s a drawback), and have to give AORAI into other cruising hands that will sail her further on on the oceans.

She was build 1990 in Austria in mahogany, the plywood has glass and epoxy on the outside. In 2007/2008 we added a Deckpod adapted, from the Tiki 38, and changed the rig to  junk rig - and never regretted it. You find pictures of us building the mast and sewing the sails under:

http://www.aorai.eu/aorai/mastbau.html

http://www.aorai.eu/aorai/segel.html

One big advantage of the junk rig, that we did not calculated, is the big space you get on deck between the hulls now. The Masts are keelsteped in the hulls and now we have no mast, mastbeam, sheets or booms that share the same place with us!

In 2009 we left Germany and are in the Caribbean (Grenada) now.

Equipment:
20kg Buegel anchor
20kg Bruce anchor
20kg Fisherman anchor
60m 8mm chain
Anchorlass, manual
Windvane Windpilot Pazifik light
GPS
Fishfinder
VHF (Simrad RD68)
Steering Compass
Bearing Compass
Anemometer
Solarpannels (2x50Wh)
Windgenerator (Rutland 913)
2 Batteries with 180Ah for general use
1 Starterbattery
Rigid dinghy
2 Flame propane stove
Lines + Fenders
Big tend for deckplace

We ask for 20.000,- Euros

Views: 6556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thomas, whats that, bout $24,000 US? nice boat by the way, junk rigs are cool, looks like a great water bird.

what does AORAI mean?

I was onboard in AORAI last year in Uruguay, South America, and later we cross in open sea while they were bound Brazil and we bound Argentina. very very nice sailing with her double junk rig and a proved excelent seaworthy boat.

only regret that so kind persons that were her owners, had changed to a steel monohull (PUAJ!)  :-))

a highly recommendable boat.

if you see susi and tom, please give them my compliments and a hug from Montevideo.

best

luis

Hi David, yes it is about $24,000 and AORAI got her name from the original builder. It is a name of a famous mountain on Tahiti.

David Hill said:

Thomas, whats that, bout $24,000 US? nice boat by the way, junk rigs are cool, looks like a great water bird.

what does AORAI mean?

Hi Luis,

yes, especially Susi is not really sure about the monohull yet. But we found our new boat and now have the possibilities to visit Patagonia for example and that we will do! And that will be the time for seeing us again, as we want to spent more time in Uruguay then as the last time.

All the best

Susi & Tom

hehe, I only realize now that "thomas mallunat" is "Tom"  :-)

look to see you again also

good luck and fair winds!

hello, I would just like to say that while we were converting our Pahi 42 to junk rig and rebuilding it, your lovely pictures are what kept our hopes alive, so thank you very much for sharing them all with us.  Best regards David, Julie, Lucy, Richard, Nicolas and Henry-David

Hi there, Thomas, AORAI looks great; but is she still on the market?  

I hope to hear from you soon and wish you well aboard your steel ship. Fair winds, Chris

We want to tell you, that Aorai has a new owner - she is sold.

Her new home will be in Moorea/Tahiti and she is already on her way. So Aorai will be there, where she should be - in Polynesia.

Hi, any idea how to find this boat as I want to buy or copy it please

The boat now is betewen Australia and Tahiti somewhere in sea...wait the guys arive in Tahiti

Mark Wagener said:

Oi, qualquer ideia de como encontrar este barco como eu quero comprar ou copiá-lo por favor

This is one Tangaroa MK IV, you can build one

Mark Wagener said:

Oi, qualquer ideia de como encontrar este barco como eu quero comprar ou copiá-lo por favor

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service