Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

I am thinking about painting over the epoxy-coated interior of Little Cat. I would rather not have to do multiple coats of the usual to get adequate coverage over the ply finish. Is there any such thing as an interior paint that gets good coverage in a single coat?  I think I saw a post by Boatsmith on this some time ago but can't find it...

Views: 438

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi roger,
I used "velvaglo" on the interior of my boat. It's not quite a one coat paint as I applied it as a thin coat as I found that it went on easier with a smooth foam roller, however it does have a thick gelling agent that supposedly allows it to be applied quite thick with a fluffy roller and it then flows out to create a smooth finish. You must not mix it and must leave it to settle for 24 hours if a tint is applied. my supplier can make any colour you like.
I found that if I applied it too thick then it needed a long time ( more than a week) to cure otherwise it clogged the sandpaper if it was then sanded. If applied in a thin coat then it sanded easy the next day. I think it's made by plascon and i believe its oil based ( but dont quote me on that), and is an interior or exterior paint
I suggest buying a small tin test it out to see if you are happy with it and to test it out with different rollers to fine tune your technique. Nexus catamarans put me onto it and they actually use a stipple roller to vice a stipple finish that looks nice if you get it right. I think there is a similar product that is cheaper but I can't think of it right now.

Are you considering covering 100% or leaving some of the wood to provide a contrast? I would have liked a part painted and part wood interior but the previous owner had already painted the inside so I was sort of stuck with it as I couldn't or wasn't prepared to sand it completely to remove the paint from the grain. I added wood trim inside and that made a big difference to 100% white interior as all white is sort of blinding.
Anyway good luck....

Marty

We have used household paint for the interior of our boat and it has successfully survived at least 5 years. The UK DIY chains have single coat from the main manufacturers (Dulux I think) and I think I may have used this but can not say so definitely as it was a while ago - I tend to use what ever we happened to have left over from painting the woodwork in the house!

Some stores no longer carry oil based polyurethane porch and deck paint, but if you can get the Glidden product, we have used it inside the boat and also on the deck and it is extremely strong and washable and bears up well at sea on Peace IV.  We get ours in Norfolk Virginia at Home Depot for about 25 bucks a gallon.  Roller or brush. 

The interiors of every boat I have ever owned or built have been painted with quality household exterior latex paint using either a roller or airless sprayer. The advantage of latex is that it allows moisture underneath to escape, but does not allow moisture to flow the other way. Most quality exterior latex paints will last 20-30 years. Using an airless, one coat is all it takes.

Thanks for all the help folks,

Roger

Per Ann's comment, Glidden has a porch and deck paint, oil based for gloss, water based for semi gloss.  I did use a semi gloss anti mildew paint from Petit in the bilges, but at $40/quart, that's as far as that went once I found the Glidden. Applied with a foam roller.

Confession time.  Nev says the ceiling in both hulls was anti mildew interior latex bathroom paint.  It scrubs well.  But when I paint the companion way ladders, I will use oil based polyurethane porch and deck paint from Glidden.  It really takes foot traffic in stride even with sandy feet from the beach. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service