Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Hello, first post. I've recently started getting a plan together to build a Tiki 38. I've got the study plan, and will be purchasing the full plans shortly. I've got quotes from Robbins, and Jeckels, and have put together a pretty comprehensive budget. Yesterday I was speaking with some friends at the marina who on hearing of my plans were adamant that a Wharram cat could not sail from the UK to the Azores or Canary Islands due to the tide and prevailing winds in the Channel. One of them has a Tiki 31 and has tried several times to head south and failed each time. I know Gleda made it to Portugal, so obviously it can be done. But, is this really an issue? Is it really so difficult to sail a multihull from the south coast of the UK to Spain? Thanks for any input.

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your friend with the Tiki 31 must either not know how to sail, or have it set up really badly. The others don't know what they are talking about! Wharrams and other multihulls of course go upwind, but you have to have good sails and know how to use them. Many Wharrams have crossed the Atlantic and gone round the world, see Rory McDougall and his Tiki 21 "Cookie"! ie https://www.wharram.com/news/2010/rory-and-cookie-finish-jester-cha...

Hi Andy, that's what I thought, but sometimes it's good to check in with those that know more than you! I've watched more than enough YouTube clips of successful Wharram sailing. You're right that the guy with the Tiki 31 seems clueless. I asked him if he discussed his issues with Wharram, and he had not, saying that he was not a 'joiner'. Go figure. I'm looking forward to getting on with the build!

Back in the days of the "classic" Wharrams, it is true they had a bad reputation amongst the "yachties", but nowadays most Wharrams are well built and well kitted out, and the designs have proven themselves. One thing I'd say is - are you sure you want to build your own? It takes a hell of a lot of time. There are a number of Tiki 38s around and they seem to come up for sale quite often. You could save yourself a lot of time and money if you find a good one. Of course I understand the call to build your own boat, but be sure you really have the time and support to do it!

For me it's the building that is at the heart of it. I left full time employment three years ago, and am close to completing a full house restoration. Several years ago I built a Caterham car, and the idea of building a capable cruising cat is very appealing. I'll likely start the actual build next spring as I've got some things to deal with this year, but I plan to build a detailed scale model from the plans before starting actual construction. My wife is supportive, and I plan to do the build not far from home. Yes, a bit like going back to work, but at least it's towards a pretty great goal.

Sounds like you know what you are doing! Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy the process and the results!

Hi Robert, I'm building a Tiki 38 in Norfolk. I haven't sailed one yet, but my experience sailing the T30 is that they go just fine to Windward so don't worry too much about that. Just get building!

Thanks Eamon!  Agreed, was really just looking for exactly the confirmation I got from Andy.  Will be building soon enough!  (And then asking a myriad of more interesting questions.)

Hello Robert,

If you are building a tiki 38, I think you may enjoy this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQdjGbE7Iw

Its a french builder and covers the building and sailing, it has some classic french humour " one week at sea and the captain asks " is that the last bottle of Pastis" demonstration of how to use and empty the toilet - a bucket ( only the french would feel the need to demonstrate this) etc. etc. 

I am thinking of building a tiki 30 or Tiki 26 and bought the study plans for both, unfortunately they lack detail about bed sizes, head space etc. Im thinking about the possibility to trailer the boats, 

I wish you much pleasure with whatever you decide to build.

best wishes Paul

I have been working under the assumption that the plan-view drawings in the study plans are scaled accurately, so for example you could take the Tiki 30 drawing, print it out, measure the stem to stern length of the drawing on the paper and the “scale” should be 1 foot = 1/30 <that length>, no? Then you can mark that scale off and get to work with dividers, straightedge, ruler, etc. to reason about bunk width, relative size of various hardware, etc. Or if you’re one of those “modern folks” with a CAD program, load the PDF in as a layer in a drawing and treat it the same.

This is what I’m expecting to do with my study plans, anyway.

Paul Bays said:

Hello Robert,

Its a french builder and covers the building and sailing, it has some classic french humour " one week at sea and the captain asks " is that the last bottle of Pastis" demonstration of how to use and empty the toilet - a bucket ( only the french would feel the need to demonstrate this) etc. etc. 

I am thinking of building a tiki 30 or Tiki 26 and bought the study plans for both, unfortunately they lack detail about bed sizes, head space etc. Im thinking about the possibility to trailer the boats, 

best wishes Paul

Hi Paul,

I think I've watched that video too many times!  Their other videos are also wonderful, in particular the one documenting their passage from France to Greece and back again.  I think it's one of the best sailing videos on youtube.

Many thanks for the good wishes.

Take care,

Robert

The study drawings have scales on them.  On the Tiki 38 study drawings there are two, one is 1:20, and the other 1:30.  If you print the drawing and use a ruler to confirm the scale then the scale on the drawing can be used to get a general sense of the dimensions.  However, one of the first rules of reading plans is to not scale off drawings.  The entire drawing could be off in either axis, and you cannot rely on getting the print to be the correct size. It may give you a close approximation, but the accuracy will be suspect.  I'm using the overall dimensions ot design the tent I'll be using for my build, but not relying on the drawings for any more detail than that.  YMMV

Chris Johnson said:

I have been working under the assumption that the plan-view drawings in the study plans are scaled accurately, so for example you could take the Tiki 30 drawing, print it out, measure the stem to stern length of the drawing on the paper and the “scale” should be 1 foot = 1/30 <that length>, no? Then you can mark that scale off and get to work with dividers, straightedge, ruler, etc. to reason about bunk width, relative size of various hardware, etc. Or if you’re one of those “modern folks” with a CAD program, load the PDF in as a layer in a drawing and treat it the same.

This is what I’m expecting to do with my study plans, anyway.

Paul Bays said:

Hello Robert,

best wishes Paul

Hello Robert,

thanks for your message.

I haven't watched the France to Greece and back again trip, thanks for the tip, Ill take a look this weekend, I'm looking forward to that.

best regards

Paul

Robert Westling said:

Hi Paul,

I think I've watched that video too many times!  Their other videos are also wonderful, in particular the one documenting their passage from France to Greece and back again.  I think it's one of the best sailing videos on youtube.

Many thanks for the good wishes.

Take care,

Robert

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2023   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service