Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

I'd like to make a cover for the main sail on my Tiki 21. Can anyone suggest or point me toward a sail cover design for a wingsail with gaff?

Ian

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can call Hodges Street Sail Repair and ask them if they will consider making you a cover like the great one they made for our Tiki 46.  252 249 0739.  Our boat has booms which Nev and I built and we really like them, but Laura and Gil might be able to come up with something for you.  They do excellent work and prices are good for sail repair.  I know they are somewhat reluctant to do much design work from scratch because it takes a lot of time and they hate to charge high prices but cannot donate hours and hours of time.  Perhaps you have something covering your sails already?  Perhaps that only needs alteration?  You could discuss it over the phone with them. 

Ann and Nev

Here's a shot of mine, Ian:

It could have been a bit shorter, but it does what it is supposed to do. . .The maker said to flake the sail normally and he would take the measurements; it is well-made, but perhaps I should have flaked the sail more compactly.

the fasteners are all twist-lock: simpler than zippers. Opening at the front of the mast, underside, and down the starboard side from where the peak/gaff halyard arises.

Click the photo, and you will be taken to the photo site; there you can enlarge the photo to see the details better.

Thanks Kim. This is the sort of thing. Does your sail have a luff pocket, or a mast track. Faking the sail with the luff pocket, is more of a scrunching up process!

Does the tie around the mast work out. I could imagine rain running down the mast and keeping the sail wet for long periods, or does that problem not arise.

Ian

Luff pocket ;-) I Z-flake as well as I can as the mainsail comes down, but the luff pocket definitely scrunches up.  The mast tie works fine, mostly at keeping the dust created by this huge commercial port out.  Rain is infrequent here in Southern California, but when it does rain hard, I have been known to raise the sails on the first sunny day  afterwards. Mildew is not harmful to dacron sails, but it is unsightly to be sure!

Oh yes, probably more commonly known as luff tube !
Thanks
kim whitmyre said:

Luff pocket ;-) I Z-flake as well as I can as the mainsail comes down, but the luff pocket definitely scrunches up.  The mast tie works fine, mostly at keeping the dust created by this huge commercial port out.  Rain is infrequent here in Southern California, but when it does rain hard, I have been known to raise the sails on the first sunny day  afterwards. Mildew is not harmful to dacron sails, but it is unsightly to be sure!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service