Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Bonjour,

I tied the rudddders on the boat, and they move nicely, but when I put the pole to join the helms together, the hardwood pins immediatly broke. I replaced them with metal rods, but the rudders have a very limited range, and the helms can't turn easily.

Any clue?

Thanks,

Éric

Views: 361

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Eric,

did you take notice that the pins on the tiller have to be fitted parallel with the rudder-hinges?

I don't like this type of connection on a Tiki. I do this in Tiki-style only with rope: I wind a 5 mm rope around the tiller, in the middle of this rope protected area (maybe 12 cm long) I lead the rope through the hole in the tiller-bar and tie an eight knot. This gives a little backlash and works since ten years without any problems.

Best Regards

Michael

Thanks, Michael. I just did the opposite, and two times... very stupid.

However, I want to be sure that I understand your fitting: You make a 12cm long lashing on both helms to protect the wood with a 5mm rope, then you connect the helms and the pole with a rope passin through these two pieces? I try to join a drawing to confirm. I will do it if that's it.

Again, many thanks,

Éric

Attachments:

Hello Eric,

C'est comme ça que j'ai monté la barre reliant mes deux gouvernails, excepté la protection par le bout de 5 mm.

pas de problèmes avec ce montage.

J-P Blanc (Kaahua)

Hello,

I did upload some pictures to show the way of lash with a line out from the middle ;-)

http://wharrambuilders.ning.com/photo/albums/tiller-tillerbar-conne...

Regards

Michael

Salut Jean Paul,

Comment vas-tu?

J'en suis aux discutions avec la douane chinoise pour sortir le bateau.

Il est pas mal, mais il y a mieux.

Je galère un peu à chaque étape, là je pense que mon gréement (dyneema) va tenir enfin. 

J'ai été malade l'été dernier, trois mois de perdus, mais c'est la vie et là ça sent la mer.

Merci pour tous tes conseils.

Lee sails, c'est toujours d'actu? Ils ont fait un bon travail sur mes voiles en tous cas.

Bien à toi, 

Éric

Blanc Jean-Paul said:

Hello Eric,

C'est comme ça que j'ai monté la barre reliant mes deux gouvernails, excepté la protection par le bout de 5 mm.

pas de problèmes avec ce montage.

J-P Blanc (Kaahua)

Fantastic, and quite "esthétique". (Sorry, poor English) I will do it. You save me a day and some bad words!

Thanks a lot,

Éric

Michael Zechany said:

Hello,

I did upload some pictures to show the way of lash with a line out from the middle ;-)

http://wharrambuilders.ning.com/photo/albums/tiller-tillerbar-conne...

Regards

Michael

Eric,

I have forgotten one necessary thing: wrap the rest of the line after the eight-knot between pole and helm. so you will minimize the shift but allow the pole to tilt backwards.

Drawing attached.

good luck

Michael

Perfect! Thanks again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service