Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Shunting Proas don't have a fixed stern. Rudders must be raised or moved after every shunt.
This VIDEO explains pros and cons of the various systems, why I don't like them and how I plan to modify the AD-Scull for sheet to tiller...
Finally, the Build, 4th Proa from Balkan Shipyards, where we're at, what we use and why....
Keep Shunting, Balkan Shipyards
VIDEO BELOW.

Views: 357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Rael- another great video with stimulating ideas from a true inheritor of Wharram.

Regarding the epoxy conundrum: why not let stuff rot then replace: this is nature after all. Wabi sabi.  I have another boat in me and want it to be all timber not laminate etc or coated.

I have just spent 5 days neaped on the beach to extend coppercoat to the real waterline (the other one was a guess, and it's not on the plans). My knees have taken a hammering and all the joint slack when you have spent 40 years lugging timber comes home when you are trudging up and down a beach.

The boat will probably outlive me. Why am I wasting time keeping it up? Well the hulls are clean again and she can go faster.......

Re scullling. That yuloh/scullling oar is a gem.  Keep shunting in these difficult times!  Ian

Thanx Ian, Wharram taught me lots, so sorry I discovered him later in life....

Sorry I thought building a boat is expensive... It's not cheap, but it's far from expensive, if I only knew what I know today 20 years ago, I would be shunting the Pacific by now.... Oh well, I suppose Success is a result of hard work, and stubbornness.

My next Shunter will be over 30 feet and solid wood, hopefully Cedar, I love that stuff.

Never neglect your boat Ian! Never!! A neglected boat acts like a neglected boat. So keep up man, good on you!

Today flipped the Vaka, gonna start glassing the bottom, hope to launch September. 

Keep Shunting hey... 

Take care

Raell 

....if I'm lucky, I have another 10 years of real work (ie practical work)/sailing left in me. The criteria I always had for building: build to last -they aren't significant concerns for me any more.

The world is heading for catastrophe: I tried to do my bit in my own life by eschewing a gilded future with a Cantab degree and self-training as a craftsman. I was working on a collective smallholding with horses in the late 70's. We needed land but had no money: I needed a skill so became a woodworker. We knew it was curtains the way we were going in the 70's: now it may be too late.

It's a long story. I will write a book about some day, if there is one: over a dozen workshops, 3 different countries, always screwed up by politicians with their idiocies and greed for votes/self. Now we have in the UK our own populist  ex-Cantab intelligent idiot........our PM .

Anyway- back to boats and timber. Where I am since Covid there have been a lot of people investing (sic) in boats. I guess some were looking for somewhere to go for weekends, some were laundering the "easy" money they got from the Govt.

No one wants to know about catamarans. Most yards won't even give me a price for a mooring. My own yard which like all the rest charges me 1.5 x won't lift me out because I take up too much space.

So now I'm thinking. I guess I can sail my 31' for another 5 years. She is hard work to sail, you need to be fit and strong. I will be into my 70's then.

Now I have some huge poplar trees in my wood and loads of Douglas. Who cares if the poplar rots because I'll build a boat to haul: she will only be in the water to sail.

Someone thought of this before..............

Ian R said:

....if I'm lucky, I have another 10 years of real work (ie practical work)/sailing left in me. The criteria I always had for building: build to last -they aren't significant concerns for me any more.

The world is heading for catastrophe: I tried to do my bit in my own life by eschewing a gilded future with a Cantab degree and self-training as a craftsman. I was working on a collective smallholding with horses in the late 70's. We needed land but had no money: I needed a skill so became a woodworker. We knew it was curtains the way we were going in the 70's: now it may be too late.

It's a long story. I will write a book about some day, if there is one: over a dozen workshops, 3 different countries, always screwed up by politicians with their idiocies and greed for votes/self. Now we have in the UK our own populist  ex-Cantab intelligent idiot........our PM .

Anyway- back to boats and timber. Where I am since Covid there have been a lot of people investing (sic) in boats. I guess some were looking for somewhere to go for weekends, some were laundering the "easy" money they got from the Govt.

No one wants to know about catamarans. Most yards won't even give me a price for a mooring. My own yard which like all the rest charges me 1.5 x won't lift me out because I take up too much space.

So now I'm thinking. I guess I can sail my 31' for another 5 years. She is hard work to sail, you need to be fit and strong. I will be into my 70's then.

Now I have some huge poplar trees in my wood and loads of Douglas. Who cares if the poplar rots because I'll build a boat to haul: she will only be in the water to sail.

Someone thought of this before..............

Cantab= Oxbridge, source of all woes in UK politics

If I'm lucky I have a year, probably many don't even have that much....

Money is going to become hard to get, the little one will get wont be enough for what one must give... Soon Anarchy breaks out, and we're back to the law of the jungle, and the strong survive.

The big wars that are in the oven will break out, I suppose, the police will fend for them selves and the rich, the army will be busy moving troops backwards and forwards... The city rats will starve, those who have guns, will shop with guns, those who have knives will use those... Sorry to be so depressing so early in the morning Ian, but we both know it's the final countdown. I plan on sailing to where the wind blows, and hope I can learn to live off the sea, I'm not very good at it, but I hope a rumbling stomach will teach me fast....

Piracy will become a problem, so I would love to have a gun. I suppose going down in a shootout like in a good ol'western is better than just getting killed. Just Imagine...

What's holding you from sailing into the horizon? Family?? Assets??? If you're still working to pay into your pension, then you can quit that. Pensions will become worthless, I expect wiping ones bum with money, will be cheaper than buying a roll of toilet paper, once hyper inflation hits... Like Zimbabwe for example

Bernard Moitessier saw it all 50 years ago... On Saturday I was 12 hour on a roof, sweating like a dog, an hour drive brings me into town at 9pm, a cop car on the side hidden in a dark corner... I get pulled over for nothing, he finds out my MOT expired (my fault, I thought I had till the end of may...) So he becomes nasty, they begin to test me for alcohol, they keep me there for half an hour, now he want's to test me for drugs.... He didn't cos by now I was already getting angry, I didn't argue about the MOT, half a days work went down the drain, ok. But why do they stop only old cars? Why don't they stop the flashy black new ones?? I have seen occasions when a fancy Black BMW violates the law and they turn and look the other way! I'm driving into town slowly carefully, they stop me, second time in a month! The previous time I got stopped for nothing, I got tested for alcohol and drugs, all machines said ZERO! I was still there for half an hour, why didn't they tell me my MOT is about to expire??? Why do we pay for this??? I have truly come to despise corrupt and petty cops like these.

The book Animal Farm describes well our society, greed gave birth to corruption. Corruption keeps the poor getting poorer... The rich keep eating and drinking while their armies turn some peoples heavens into a living hell...

Oh well, What you waiting for? See you in the Canaries November.....

Will race you over the pond.......

Keep Shunting Ian, your Poplar logs will wait, the wind is free.... Balkan Shipyards

RAEL

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service