Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

My Tiki 26 stock design windows are badly crazed, leak and some have cracks so I intend to replace them during the current refit. I quite like the look of the GRP 26s/8m with the single long sleek window on each hull but I'm not sure if my method of replicating that is the right way or could be improved. 

This is what I think I will do. Assume at this point all old windows are removed, frames cleaned/repaired and the area inside and out is ready for fitting and new window material cut. I'll use the previous method of black mastic for sealing with a 5mm gap as this has not failed.

• Reuse existing holes
  • Drill new holes, similar spacing, along the non window region between the original window cutouts, top and bottom.
  • Paint the area between the original windows black (I'll be using tinted window material)
  • Fit the new single window ensuring the mastic edge line is continued across the "gap" full length.

I'm aware of the need to ensure the soon to be covered area of cabin side will need to be in top notch condition to avoid degradation.

Obviously this is not an exhaustive list of steps but I hope will help describe what I'm doing.

So, will this work? Is there a better way? Anyone done this before?

Thanks heaps.

Views: 172

Replies to This Discussion

My GRP T26 has windows much as you describe.  The acrylic goes the full length in one piece, but there are two separate cut-outs in the GRP coachroof side.  I think it's better than one long cut-out as the middle "pillar" provides better support for the cabin top.

I think your approach should work but, depending on how big the pillar is and the consistency of the mastic, you may need an extra fixing hole in the centre of the pillar to get even compression.

What type of mastic are you using?

Thanks Robert.

My pillar is quite substantial and I won't be touching that. I agree some sort of centre fastener(s) may be required and during a dry fit that should become apparent.

The mastic I have is Selleys brand D Mastic. Skin hardens when exposed to air but remains soft inside. Formulated for boat and vehicle windows. It can be painted after the skin has formed.

Thanks Neil, I'll make a note of that mastic for next time mine need doing!

NeilR said:

Thanks Robert.

My pillar is quite substantial and I won't be touching that. I agree some sort of centre fastener(s) may be required and during a dry fit that should become apparent.

The mastic I have is Selleys brand D Mastic. Skin hardens when exposed to air but remains soft inside. Formulated for boat and vehicle windows. It can be painted after the skin has formed.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service