Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts


the builder of my newly-purchased Tiki 30 made a mistake, in spite of his experience (everybody makes mistakes) and the chainplates are misaligned by 8º to 12º. The fwd one here is the worst offender (please note the rigging is not tensioned):

What do you think is the simplest way to fix this? Would reinforcing on the inside suffice?

Views: 548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would consider taking the opportunity to change the chain plates to lashing cleats like the beam lashings cleats.

Thanks Frank. It was my understanding that the design called for lashings for smaller Tikis, but chainplates for the Tiki 30. Where can I find information on the design for lashings for the Tiki 30?

Sorry for any mis information Jordi, you are probably right, the tiki 26 has lanyard cleats on the plan but after looking at photos of the 30 they all seem to use chain plates. Be interesting what other people have to say.

How about decreasing the mast rake by tightening / shortening the forestay?

Ok. The chain plates are misaligned. What are your concerns?

How many miles are on the boat thus far? Do you see any signs of problems that have been caused by this misalignment?  If not, then the "simplest solution" is to leave them alone. There is an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." However, if you are the A.R. type, then there is only one solution, remove the chain plates and their mounting blocks, fill the holes, make new mounting blocks and new chain plates and install them correctly and repaint. Anything else is only a half step solution.

Thanks Marty. Not sure it's a good idea to solve a design deviation with a bugger one, but I'll consider the idea... If the mountain will not come to Muhammad... :-)

Thanks B.B. Unfortunately the boat, albeit oldish, has not sailed much, and only in protected waters -- the builder made it for sailing, but life circumstances have not allowed him to... that's why he sold.

My concern is on the kind of failure would that be if it indeed failed... if this were a high-mast-pressure rig, it would probably be rig failure with all its possible consequences. If I knew it would be detectable and fixable before such extreme was reached I would certainly leave it alone.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the only fix which will give me peace of mind is a rebuild. (I'm not of the A.R. type as of yet, but the builder is and I'll be summoning him for help).

If you want it right, correct the problem. Currently there is an unintended torque on the bolts, when the designer intended the pull it be straight and no torque. If your a Half A type don't worry and carry on. If this were a choice of putting a sink on the left or right that's one thing, changing the design of the rigging requires more then a degree in gender studies. 

Thanks Edward. It's decided: full fix -- hopefully with the help of the builder.

FYI - I also asked JWD on this subject. It turns out the error in the chainplaite mounting angle actually originated in the drawings, which will be corrected right away. Hanneke gave the following recommendation:

I think it is a good idea to realign the chain plates to get a better force on the plates and bolts. I suggest you do not try to remove the original hardwood backing piece, but rather add some more hardwood alongside so you have a new base to fix them to. It is not important that the shrouds are precisely in the position they are in now, so they can be moved a few centimetres.

Reply to Discussion


© 2021   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service