Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Hello Wharram Builders!

S/V Mon Tiki, a USCG certificated Tiki 38 now lays in Norfolk, awaiting my return next month to continue her journey south. I am a USCG master captain with a 50 ton near coastal license. I built Mon Tiki, and in the summer I run her as a daysailing charter. My purpose in taking Mon Tiki south is three-fold:

1) To enjoy some avocational time on Mon Tiki, free from the responsibility of my passengers safety and comfort.

2) To find warmer climes to do maintenance and improvements on Mon Tiki.

3) To give my family a destination for the various school breaks that occur over the next several months.

I am seeking ride-along crew for safety and companionship for the trip from Norfolk though the ICW to Beaufort NC and then on down the coast to points south. Come for a day, or over night, or longer with we are simpatico. Step off when it stops being fun.

You needn't be a seasoned sailor, but Mon Tiki's interior is only partially fitted out so expect very basic accommodations. There is a stove/oven for cooking and a heater to make the cabins warm if the cold becomes unpleasant.

The only expectation (beyond being pleasant company) is that you provide your own transportation to and from where you step onto and off of Mon Tiki and contribute to your share of provisions. I have simple tastes so it won't cost you any more to eat on board Mon Tiki than it does to eat at home, and probably less.

I hope to be leaving Norfolk on or around 12/18 and hope to arrive in Beaufort NC on or around 12/23. I am not in a hurry. If the wind's behind us, we'll sail. If there's no wind at all, we'll motor. If the wind's in our face, we'll hold up in a creek and wait for it to change to a different direction.

Regards.

Views: 936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I'll be in Hawaii Dec. 15-31, but I might be available after we return.  I'm located on the coast of NC, just north of Wilmington.

That might just work out splendidly. I'll have my family with me on the boat from just after Christmas to just after New Years. After that it's just me. Some company would be nice!

Hi David, 

As we are planning for a Tiki 46 in the future, we are quite interesting is getting some sail time on a Tiki. My experience is from racing Flying Dutchmen many years ago, and sailing on the Columbia River the past two years in our Mac 26C. Taunya also has a month of bluewater experience, crewing on a 135' tall ship last spring. 

We're easy going people, and depending on dates, one or both of us might be available. 

My availability is pretty flexible, but Taunya is back in school after the first week of January. 

My preference would be bluewater, not ICW, so from Beaufort to points south would be best. I realize a prudent schedule must be flexible, but what is your desired schedule and anticipated ports after Beaufort? 

If you want to follow up by email, "friend" me and I'll reply with my email address. 

Thanks - Rusty

Done!

David,

Our Tiki 38, Mouzzer, is currently just below Annapolis. Our intent is to leave hear as soon as weather permits after 6 December and be in Norfolk at Rebel Marine three or four days later before carrying on down the ICW. Can't help you with crew, but could possibly buddy boat or meet up along the way if you liked. If you're interested, send me a reply and I'll send you an email address for us.

Ron

Sounds fun!

Ron and Gail Hall said:

David,

Our Tiki 38, Mouzzer, is currently just below Annapolis. Our intent is to leave hear as soon as weather permits after 6 December and be in Norfolk at Rebel Marine three or four days later before carrying on down the ICW. Can't help you with crew, but could possibly buddy boat or meet up along the way if you liked. If you're interested, send me a reply and I'll send you an email address for us.

Ron


Ahoy Ron and Gail,

     Best wishes for your trip south.  A great adventure in a great boat.

Andy
Ron and Gail Hall said:

David,

Our Tiki 38, Mouzzer, is currently just below Annapolis. Our intent is to leave hear as soon as weather permits after 6 December and be in Norfolk at Rebel Marine three or four days later before carrying on down the ICW. Can't help you with crew, but could possibly buddy boat or meet up along the way if you liked. If you're interested, send me a reply and I'll send you an email address for us.

Ron

Hey, David,
I'm in Atlanta with a schedule flexible enough to help out all along the way. Sailing multihulls since I was 10, including offshore passages. Sent you a friend request.

Hello Russell!

I hope to be back down in Norfolk around 12/17 with an eye to making it to Beaufort NC around the 22. My family is going to join me on the boat from about 12/29-1/4. Then it'll be back to just me for a while.

I'd love company and it's safer too. Let me know when/where we might catch up!

ITINERARY UPDATE:

I will be back aboard Mon Tiki in Norfolk on or about December 17 with the hope of heading towards Beaufort NC around the 19th or 20th, and heading southward from there, coastwise or in the ICW as weather allows. I would welcome crew during this period, for a day, or longer, as your schedule and enjoyment of my company allows. Nothing about this portion of the trip should be especially taxing.

My family will join me from about December 29 through Jan 4; and we hope Mon Tiki will be somewhere between St. Augustine and Port Canaveral FLA by the end of our time together.

The next week I will be moving the boat southward, hoping to make Miami by mid-Janurary. Again, I would welcome crew during this period, and weather willing the going should be easy. Let’s say Jan. 5th through the 15th, more or less.

A friend and collaborator will be aboard from about 1/15 -- 1/22. We'll make south for the Keys. After that if you wanted to come hang out, sail, snorkel and do some boat work, you’d be welcome.

Regards,

ITINERARY UPDATE:

I arrived at Willloghby Marina Monday night and have been visiting family and getting Mon Tiki ready to leave for Beaufort NC tomorrow or Friday. The weather looks very fine. Some company would be nice!

How's your trip going?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service