Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Hi, I am in the process of restoring a wharram tiki 30, and think it should perform better than it does now.

What kind of angle is normal for a tiki 30?

Below i added  photo's of my chart plotter and main sail.

My sails are about 6 years old, but might have seen more uv light than they should.  I am putting more and more tension on the outhoul on the gaff witch help to get a more flat sail.

This winter i also want to apply a new coat of anti fouling paint,   this is one of the jobs a bit lower on the to-do list, i had to fix other things first... i have some growth on the hulls.

the boat is not to heavy on the helm, it just wants to turn a bit to the wind. is that okay or should i trim it really neutral?

any idea's?

Thanks a lot!

Bart

Views: 1909

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, the boat is moving from the right to the left, into the Bay.

Hey, Roger that's interesting stuff and it's clear you're doing well to windward. I met Rory not long after I made the post about the angles and he confirmed the 90° tacks against true wind.

It's becoming clear to me that windward ability (and speed at any point of sail) is really sensitive to small changes in the boat set up and the skill of the sailor (or lack of in my case). I get the impression that this might be particularly true of catamarans and hence the reputation. I wonder also if cats' polar plots mean they increase their VMG to windward more quickly when they come off the wind than do many monohulls. Hence the monohulls see cats pulling away from them, but further off the wind than their own course.

Gratitude will be coming out of the water soon. As you can see from the last weekend's track, I'll have to wait until next spring to see if I can catch up with you and Rory!

"I wonder also if cats' polar plots mean they increase their VMG to windward more quickly when they come off the wind than do many monohulls. Hence the monohulls see cats pulling away from them, but further off the wind than their own course."

I think that is true for fast cats footing to windward (beach cats and performance multi's with tall rigs and boards), but Wharrams are slow cats and vmg has to be a balance between angle to the wind and adequate speed to minimize lee way.

If we are talking about close reaching wind angles, then I think you are right that a wharram sailing at speed can beat a bigger mono sailing a tighter angle at hull speed.

Time for a little update.

This summer i sailed with a clean bottom, i used a copper and epoxy mixture as antifouling and i got only slight growth, witch was easy to  remove when on a beach.

I also  put the hulls parralel. The distance between te hulls front was 5 cm less than at the rear!  The reult of quick beam mount repairs while in the water?

The results of this was indeed much improved speed, now i am sailing often wind speeds in knots\2..  i go often 10 knots+ with 18- 24 knots wind. Witch i find great!

The sailing angles improved just a bit. learning the traveller without a boom takes some time, but i think the main sail is not flat enough. I mailed the pictures of the main to jeckels, and they thought it was fuller than it was made.

I have to keep on sailing and practising, and perhaps a new main sail later on..

For now i am pleased with al the tips and ideas, Thank you all!

Regards Bart

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service