Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

We are rehabilitating an older tiki 21 . Nearly done, we are now faced with no plans, and have to deduce how the rudders were to be attached. We have, and not even sure this was to plan when the boat was built, three longish holes, on the stem, and three corresponding long holes on the rudders. These holes are actually slots, slightly longer than an inch.

This is not like the lashing method with the many small holes on the other tiki plans i have seen. Does this predate that method? Is there intended to be hardware here? or lashings? if so, any pictures as examples of how to accomplish this?

Thanks. Quite baffled by this problem.

clif

Views: 725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Clif , Scott Williams has xlnt examples on his tiki 26 blog.

link?  the only pictures i found on scotts blog were of the single holes into figure  eight lashing here. What i have are three inch+ long slots...thanks..

Fill in the slots with thickened epoxy, and then drill the holes for the lashing, according to plan.

In the bottom of the following page are very clear pictures of the process

http://tiki30.blogspot.com/2008_05_01_archive.html

clif high said:

link?  the only pictures i found on scotts blog were of the single holes into figure  eight lashing here. What i have are three inch+ long slots...thanks..

ok, i see what y'all mean. What i actually have are the slots on both hulls and rudders. They were never intended to be filled in as the tiki21 had been  launched and sailed with this configuration. So the fellow who built it obviously worked out another method. Likely he did this  due to trailering the  boat and needing to remove the rudders. This is also a concern of mine so i will noodle on some  other method. Thanks though, i appreciate the links. Clearly Pascual is the man at boatsmith...see the look of concentration?

The tiki21 i have was probably built in the 80s. We have very little accurate knowledge of its history. We think it was called the "verti guy" for 'green guy" or  some variant...hard to read the old paint. Well built, and very voluminous. An extra foot has been added to the sides of the hulls so this is a taller, and much larger tiki21 than the others i have seen. Very well built with lots of interesting details, so i think that the builder had had some insight that allowed him to easily rig the rudders each time it was launched....

any thoughts about  such a method?

thanks.

pics?

Strength would be my main concern, as is yours, I"m sure! Wharram's method is strong, and there is no need remove the rudders for trailering. I trailered my 26 from Seattle to the Los Angeles area using a home-built wooden clamp arrangement to keep the rudders from moving.

Would be quite keen to see some pictures of this jumbo 21.  Must be a bit longer as well is they just projected up the stem and sterns.  I'm considering a slightly longer 21, but just a few inches more freeboard.  Would also be wider to allow for a small removable Woods type deck pod.

Cliff – Hello, I am also considering the
construction of a Tiki 21 with a 3 "or 4" more freeboard, it would be
interesting to see pictures of their own which is (if I understood well) quite
more, 1´, also interests me and I imagine that many people, his opinion
about his behaviour browsing, if you notice any disadvantage compared with the
original plan.

Greetings and thanks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service