A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts
I built the original Tane class cat in the 70's. Sailed from Boston to Bermuda to the Virgins and back over a couple of years. I made the following changes: bigger stronger beams and beam troughs, higher mast, no tabernacle, cockpit, and bigger cabins. All of these were good ideas. Plywood was brunzeel, all timber mahogany, T-88 structural adhesive and resorcinol for glues, bronze annular boat nails. The only mistake I made was solid laminated mahogany beams. Pine would have been strong enough.
The building method was simple, the boat was strong as a brick, and she looked great. Saw some big waves (completely inundated with only house tops visible) but never worried. An up and down experience but I have some nice memories of young man's adventure.