Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Hi everyone, I have been thinking about starting my tiki for the past year now, but I'm not quite to the point where I have a suitable building space.  During this transition, I've had ample time to contemplate the building method that these Tiki's take to build. 

In thinking about this build, it has occurred to me that this boat appears to contradict Mr. Wharram's whole philosophy, specifically being one with nature and such.  Occume marine plywood is made from a tropical hardwood that isn't particularly sustainably harvested, and isn't known for its rot resistance.  Epoxy is very toxic and is well documented for causing welts and allergic reactions.

This train of thought has led me to contemplating other methods of building these hulls.  Has anybody successfully produced a hull using the cold molding technique?  I was thinking that by starting with thin strips of cedar, followed by veneer of something, then foam or corecell type material,  followed by a thin layer of fiberglass, kevlar, carbon etc it would produce a very lightweight but strong hull.  My main concern is that Wharram's plans aren't good enough to do an accurate job of making station molds.  Has anyone made a CAD drawing of a tiki design?  

I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on the subject.  My inspiration for this line of reasoning is the Susan schooner thread on the woodenboat.com forum.  The guy built a beautiful yacht from locally grown timber, Lowes lumber, etc.  I like the idea of using local stuff, a little bit at a time, and not shipping plywood from africa, asia, south america etc.    

Views: 2352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Given the rising prices of raw materials and the decreasing prices of used boats, perhaps you would be better off restoring a fine vessel from the days of yore?

Not giving you shit at all...just check out the market!  Restoring an older wood monohull, perhaps an old fishing schooner, is now cheaper and faster than building a new boat!  Just please please please don't replace oak with pine.

Anyway, it might be worth checking out.  There are some great deals out there right now!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service