Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

Does anybody know about a two wheels beach trolley for a tiki21?

I was thinking to support the skeg on a plate, welded on the axle of the wheels and provide ties to keep it in balance longitudinally. The transverse balance is maintained by a second person while the other raises the hull and pushes the bow. This works with one hull at a time just to get to the sea shore and to assemble the tiki.  I remember I saw a drawing of this arrangement once but I don't know the details.

Thanks for your help and happy Christmas!

Stefano

Views: 2830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've attached pics of the trolleys I made for my Tiki 26.  You could probably make something similar but lighter for a T21.  They're made of wood, 19mm plywood screwed to 100mm x 50mm timber.  The axles are metal.  When assembling the boat or moving it on land the trolleys are fixed in place with 25mm ratchet straps.  When I'm ready to launch I remove the straps and use ropes to stop the boat moving backwards or forewards.  One problem I found the first time I launched was the trolleys float too well, so now I put some blocks of lead on them before they go in the water!  If I need to climb on the boat ashore I always put wooden blocks under, or it can tip forwards or back.

You should always be very careful of the skeg and rudders on a Tiki, as they are not the strongest points!  I always make sure mine stay clear of the ground.  If you want any more pics or info on the trolleys let me know.

Attachments:

Here are some more pics of the trolleys in use.

Attachments:

Thanks Robert, I've seen the pics. Very good trolleys. I think I'll make it more simple, just two wheels and a saddle for the hull near the skeg. I need it just to move the hulls from the road trolley to the seashore. One at a time in two people.

Happy new year

Stefano

Robert Hughes said:

I've attached pics of the trolleys I made for my Tiki 26.  You could probably make something similar but lighter for a T21.  They're made of wood, 19mm plywood screwed to 100mm x 50mm timber.  The axles are metal.  When assembling the boat or moving it on land the trolleys are fixed in place with 25mm ratchet straps.  When I'm ready to launch I remove the straps and use ropes to stop the boat moving backwards or forewards.  One problem I found the first time I launched was the trolleys float too well, so now I put some blocks of lead on them before they go in the water!  If I need to climb on the boat ashore I always put wooden blocks under, or it can tip forwards or back.

You should always be very careful of the skeg and rudders on a Tiki, as they are not the strongest points!  I always make sure mine stay clear of the ground.  If you want any more pics or info on the trolleys let me know.

Thanks Rogerio, it's a good idea having two saddles to support the hull. I'll follow your suggestion. Many tanks

Stefano

Rogerio Martin said:

I use one WV polo back axis. Because Tiki 30 have +- 400kg each hull. 

I understand, I've also seen the dimension, quite a big trolley! Mine will be smaller. Tiki 21 weights 80kg each hull

Thanks

Stefano

Rogerio Martin said:

I use one WV polo back axis. Because Tiki 30 have +- 400kg each hull. 

Robert Hughes, I was wondering if you could give me exact dimensions of your beach trolley, ESP the triangle cut outs as I would like to build these for my TIKI (Pantala) down here in Baja. Please reply to 11shando22@gmail.com. Thanks Sean Dougherty, Mulege BCS.

Hi Sean, I'm on holiday at the moment, will have a look when I get back.

Rob

Rob, I transferred my hull V to piece of plywood and cut out a guess template, will send you a pic w dimensions when I get your email address, Sean

Hi Sean, I made the angles slightly adjustable.  This really helps when you're assembling on uneven ground.  Also I open them a bit wider when launching or recovering so nothing gets stressed...

Robert Hughes said:

Hi Sean, I made the angles slightly adjustable.  This really helps when you're assembling on uneven ground.  Also I open them a bit wider when launching or recovering so nothing gets stressed...

So, what are length , width, height of your trolleys? And did you use 10 inch wheelbarrow tires w a 300 lb max load per tire?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service