Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

I have a blog post on an autopilot setup for the Tiki 21 for anyone interested - discussion welcome.

http://tiki21littlecat.blogspot.com/2013/07/tiki-21-autopilot.html

Views: 1373

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Roger. This seems a better system than extending the arm towards the 18 inch line on the tiller as I had planned to do earlier.

bravo mate.

Hi Roger. Thats one smart design. How did you come to 18 inches? And what would be the distance for a bigger Wharram?

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf,

Thanks. That measurement is particular to the ST 1000 and is the same for any boat including a larger Tiki. The ST 2000 might be better for a substantially bigger boat.

Wolf said:

Hi Roger. Thats one smart design. How did you come to 18 inches? And what would be the distance for a bigger Wharram?

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Charlie,

The ST 1000 has a total ram extension of about 8", so it would work attaching directly to the line, but would run out of travel quickly with weather helm.

Roger

Charlie said:

nice work. did you try attaching it directly to the tiller?

Thank you Roger for the blog sharing, i have a Simrad TP10,  should be equivalent to ST 1000

Hi Roger. I think a pivoting board, instead of track and car, would be a better option. Frictionless and dirt cheap    

Raf, what is a pivoting board ?

Thanks, Roger

Hi Raf, would love to here more.

Roger

Raf said:

Hi Roger. I think a pivoting board, instead of track and car, would be a better option. Frictionless and dirt cheap    

Heu ... One board with central pivot, one extremity for the lines , one for the pilot ? Something like that ?

Hi Laurent,

That was my original plan till I measured it out. Each arm would have to be 18" long - that's a 36" swing. Imagine a 3 foot circle somewhere around your rear beam that would have to be free of any other stuff. It could work on a boat with lots of room to the stern.

Roger

don't have the ram sizes so cannot give accurate drawing but this is the isea.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service