Wharram Builders and Friends

A Photo & Discussion Forum for Wharram Design Enthusiasts

We have completed fairing and sanding the mold for the composite hulls of the Ariki. Hanneke redrew these plans to optimize the shape for foam/glass construction while retaining the pretty shape of the Classic Ariki. We strip planked the mold over frames and then glassed it inside and out. Then we faired it and sanded it and now we have waxed it. We will start our first hull next week. Stay tuned, same cat time, same cat channel.

Views: 2750

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, the artist involved with these drawings is Kevin Hutchinson, a longtime Wharram fan. I am fortunate to have his skills to help visualize this boat.

Wharram Ariki 47' built by BoatSmith Inc., West Palm Beach, Florida

A light, fast, glass, 47' LOA, 24'beam, Ariki with Hecate's deck arrangement? Now *that* sounds like a helluva boat!

boatsmith said:

The first glass Ariki we are delivering as hulls with decks and houses,beams and rudders with a 19' beam. This The owner will complete the vessel. The second one we will complete the vessel with a 24' beam. This boat will get a deck arrangement similar to the Pahi 53 in the Med named Hecate.

Ariki progress to date 

http://youtu.be/RR0kdk2i1ZQ

Here are some recent photos of the first Ariki.

Well, sliding into our local DIY yard just after dark, one jump ahead of a rain squall with typical Florida lightning orchestration to check on the battery's and bilge in my '88 Westsail 43 what do you suppose I saw? After following the design since maybe the '60's there it was. A port half-a-maran and two of the beams with more to come I guess. The rumor has been out for quite awhile but to finally see it was a happy fact and  watching the progress will be a distinct pleasure.

jtn

Sorry; pictures after sunrise.

jtn

jim nichols said:

Well, sliding into our local DIY yard just after dark, one jump ahead of a rain squall with typical Florida lightning orchestration to check on the battery's and bilge in my '88 Westsail 43 what do you suppose I saw? After following the design since maybe the '60's there it was. A port half-a-maran and two of the beams with more to come I guess. The rumor has been out for quite awhile but to finally see it was a happy fact and  watching the progress will be a distinct pleasure.

jtn

The other half-a-maran and two more beams are on the truck for delivery today.

Congratulations on the completing and shipping of the half-a-marans.

Now, for the real question that arose after watching your latest blog post showing the nearly-ready-to-ship half-a-marans. What does the kewl new toy with which you shot the video look like? I saw you working on the floor so I've got this strange picture in mind of someone else flying in an ultra-light with a go-Pro camera strapped to their helmet. Sorry, that is what the idle mind with limited information can conjur.

Seriously, thanks for updating the blog before shipping as those Ariki hulls from all those aerial angles looked really sharp. I'll be anxiously watching as the final stages are completed by Dex.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Budget Boater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service